Stupid Question?? New boater.....

Kawiace

Cadet
Good Morning,

I just got n-used boat and have taken to the lake a few times. I am going to be taking to the ocean in a few weeks and would like to know if will hurt the boat to land it on the beach to unload and load people. It is a 1993 Sunbird 170 with a OB 115. The boat had a paint on the bottom that is similar to a Rino Liner ( is this normal?? ) Thanks for your help and I hope this is in the right section.

Cowthief

Seaman
Re: Stupid Question?? New boater.....

Rhino liner was just a cheap way of doing it, or possibly they were beaching it also? Yes you can let passengers off, but watch your waves/tiding. Also tilt your motor to give clearance. If it was me, I'd anchor and let the buggers swim :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't worry much about a short beaching. It's beaching it for a day of swimming and letting the boat gently rock back and forth in the sand slowly grinding down the keel that you should avoid.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

no problem. As EZ said, it's leaving it there than can eventually long term cause issues. Let them off, then anchor back. Consider the bungee cord anchoring lines.

If you are going to a beach where there are lots of other boats, ask someone what's the best way to moor. Crowded beaches, like ramps, have their protocals. Don't be the guy you read about here on Mondays.