MEKP-925 Disposal?

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I completed pouring my transom last night with Arjay 6011 and used MEKP-925 at the catalyst. I am going to update an earlier thread on this later today or tomorrow and share what I learned in the process. In short, Arjay 6011 is incredibly easy to pour and is a GREAT PRODUCT for ease of use.

I ordered two 5 gallon pails, and wound up ordering a gallon of MEKP-925 which in hindsight was way more than I needed as I only used a total of 14 ounces with the 2 pails. Kicking myself for ordering a gallon, but didn't see on the supplier's site where it was sold in smaller quantities.

So, I'm left with app. 3/4 gallon of the MEKP-925, and am wondering how I should dispose of this, or where would be a good bet locally to start? I see where the customary industrial way of disposal is dilution and then incineration, so I'm wondering how you guys get rid of excessive quantities?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: MEKP-925 Disposal?

I have never done this nor would I ever do this but, Ummmmmm,,,not the safest thing to do butttttttttt,,,it burns really really good. Find a large sandy area, put it in a coffee can, add a little acetone, use a LONG stick with a lit paper towel on it and stay way back. I wouldn't actually know this but it might burn like a rocket engine.

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never done this nor would I ever do this but, Ummmmmm,,,not the safest thing to do butttttttttt,,,it burns really really good. Find a large sandy area, put it in a coffee can, add a little acetone, use a LONG stick with a lit paper towel on it and stay way back. I wouldn't actually know this but it might burn like a rocket engine.

Haha, sounds like that falls under the category of what we in the South call "hey ya'll, watch 'is!"

I was wondering "how" explosive or flammable this stuff is, like say compared to Gasoline? Gasoline is about my safe threshold for burning with home-started flame!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Or you could give it to a local boat repair shop.....

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hmm..

Good question..where ya at ?

Best place like woody said is your local boat shop.

YD.

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm..

Good question..where ya at ?

Best place like woody said is your local boat shop.

YD.

I'm in upstate South Carolina. I've got it in the original plastic gallon container stored in a cool place. Watched some youtube videos of how explosive this stuff is. For some reason, just don't like having it sitting around!

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm..I do have about a gallon and a half of old resin that has outlived its shelf life. I wonder what would happen if I put the resin in a 5 gallon bucket and poured in 3/4 gallon catalyst, or added slowly? I'd put it in the middle of the field out back, pour the catalyst in and run I guess!

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

It is flammable but not nearly so much as gasoline. It is actually hard to get it to start on fire. But once you get it started look out! Has its own oxygen so will burn under water once started. Not explosive if not contaminated.

Mixing a large quantity of catalyst with a small quantity of resin won't do much. The resin might not even cure. It will not blow up or self combust.

thunderbug

Cadet

I'm almost ready to pour my transom, haven't ordered resin yet. How close are you to Jocassee? Maybe I can take it off your hands.

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm almost ready to pour my transom, haven't ordered resin yet. How close are you to Jocassee? Maybe I can take it off your hands.

It's in Greenville/Simpsonville, SC. I'm currently out of town until Saturday, but if you want it, Private Message me and you can have it if you want to come pick it up. Was $40 for the gallon plus the hazmat shipping fee, but I'll give it to you to take off my hands if you want to drive over and get it.

thunderbug

Cadet

Could'nt figure out how to PM. I'm in Lexington, going to Jocassee on the 22nd and go right by you, sort of. PM me and I may be able to reply.

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could'nt figure out how to PM. I'm in Lexington, going to Jocassee on the 22nd and go right by you, sort of. PM me and I may be able to reply.

Just PM'd you. Let me know if you got it.