Mercruiser shifting problems after reassembly.

bucknv19

Cadet
I'm new to the boating world and recently had taken apart my outdrive and separated the upper from the lower and replaced some bearings. After that put the two back together and went to install on my boat. Made sure it was in full forward and put together. When I went to shift it seemed to be in gear when in neutral, would go into reverse and in full forward it seemed to be in neutral. Can anyone help me with where I might have went wrong. Is it in the assembly of the upper and lower units or did I have something backward on putting the drive back on the boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser shifting problems after reassembly.

The shift shaft rotational alignement at the splines is a very common problem / issue. Does it face straight forward when the drive is fully engaged in forward gear?

bucknv19

Cadet

I believe the drive is a alpha one and it is a 3.7l mercruiser.

bucknv19

Cadet

Like I had said I'm new to the boating world, but if your talking about the piece on the under side of the unit it seems to face forward. Maybe just a little off of perfectly straight. If this isn't where your talking about then I will need some instruction.
Thanks

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

When you put it together your control was in forward, but the gearhousing was in neutral or reverse, so when the intermediate shift shaft went on it was "off a spline". You need to leave the control in forward, drop the gearhousing, rotate the lower shift shaft all the way clockwise, turn the prop CCW until it locks and hold tension on it with a bungee (to hold it in F), then put it back together with the intermediate shift shaft pointed straight forward. If you have to turn the driveshaft a little to get it to line up, turn the prop CCW only. Should be good to go.

bucknv19

Cadet

Ok I will try that. I have just one more question and I might sound stupid, but I would rather ask a dumb question then get it wrong again. Clockwise and counter clockwise looking at the drive from the prop side right? Thanks again for all the help.

Don't forget to check the stainless washer on that lower shift shaft on the lower is there.... as well as the quad ring between the halves doesn't get out of position.

Let us know how you make out.

bucknv19

Cadet

Finally gonna get a chance to work on the boat will post later.

bucknv19

Cadet

Well finally got it. I had a problem when I put the upper and lower units together. After I figured that out it went a lot better.

rich1295

Seaman Apprentice

I have what I think is a similar problem. I replaced my lower unit and now I cannot find find neutral. When I put the shifter in what was and feels like neutral the starter won't engage, when I put it in reverse the starter does engage, but the prop turns as well. The button on the shifter that you normally press to hold neutral and rev the engine will not depress. From this post it looks like a made a mistake in assembling the upper and lower units. Suggestions please.