1968 Glastron V-177 Outdrive Corrosion Question

tinytimmm

Recruit
Ok so I have this new old boat which was given to me, I will post pics soon

Everything works in my out of water testing.

I ran the 120 HP (Iron Duke I assume) engine for 7 minutes, with ear muffs. Checked the engine oil after and it was very clean, like fresh brand new oil.

Before I continue, I will do an oil/filter change.

In that 7 minutes of testing, water spewed out the prop, which shifted fine both in forward and reverse, and accelerated great at full throttle, and I was able to raise the RPMS in neutral as well.

There is corrosion on the lower unit housing and two big chunks of aluminum have fallen off from both sides, just north of the skag; also, underneath the forward part of the prop shaft, two pee holes above the water intake at the front of the leg spew out brownish water which I believe to be a collection of soot, rust, anything that can get into the housing for much longer than I have been around. I did some research and found that this is normal, so that water and other elements do not collect and cause corrosion.

My theory is that a previous owner inadvertently patched the original pee holes, which caused the corrosion, (which is in the spot where the pics of pee holes I have seen are located) thinking they shouldn't be there, then reopened two (through a mechanic?) slightly above.

For my next test, after changing the engine oil and filter, I will drain and re-lube / oil the outdrive and then run the boat at full throttle for about 30 minutes.

If all goes well, I'll repair the deep corrosion with JB Weld and take the boat out and stay near to shore for the maiden voyage.

any thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1968 Glastron V-177 Outdrive Corrosion Question

Ok so I have this new old boat which was given to me, I will post pics soon

Everything works in my out of water testing.

I ran the 120 HP (Iron Duke I assume) engine for 7 minutes, with ear muffs. Checked the engine oil after and it was very clean, like fresh brand new oil.

Before I continue, I will do an oil/filter change.

In that 7 minutes of testing, water spewed out the prop, which shifted fine both in forward and reverse, and accelerated great at full throttle, and I was able to raise the RPMS in neutral as well.

There is corrosion on the lower unit housing and two big chunks of aluminum have fallen off from both sides, just north of the skag; also, underneath the forward part of the prop shaft, two pee holes above the water intake at the front of the leg spew out brownish water which I believe to be a collection of soot, rust, anything that can get into the housing for much longer than I have been around. I did some research and found that this is normal, so that water and other elements do not collect and cause corrosion.

My theory is that a previous owner inadvertently patched the original pee holes, which caused the corrosion, (which is in the spot where the pics of pee holes I have seen are located) thinking they shouldn't be there, then reopened two (through a mechanic?) slightly above.

For my next test, after changing the engine oil and filter, I will drain and re-lube / oil the outdrive and then run the boat at full throttle for about 30 minutes.

If all goes well, I'll repair the deep corrosion with JB Weld and take the boat out and stay near to shore for the maiden voyage.

any thoughts?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Got any Pictures,..?? It sounds like ya need a new lower unit...

tinytimmm

Recruit
Re: 1968 Glastron V-177 Outdrive Corrosion Question

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Got any Pictures,..?? It sounds like ya need a new lower unit...

thanks for the welcome...

The good news as that I have a pretty decent looking lower unit sitting right next to it, with a small chunk of corrosion and no pee holes, which I'm not to sure about, seems there was a patch job on that one too...

I think the draining of the fluid from the top / lower gear unit (according to mercruiser, it is one unit combined for the 68 with the serial number 2330766)...if there is no water there, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do the 30 minute, or longer, test,...

and hopefully I'll post pics in the coming days since this is one of my weeks working from home...

Quote: TowboatUSA, VesselAssist, TrailerAssist, never leave home without 'em