need help with 1983 merc 185 v6

tommyb6273

Cadet
i have a 1990 larson with a 1983 merc 185 v6 3.8L. I blew the motor last summer and picked up a low hour one over the winter. I was told it was a 4.3 but after running the numbers i found out it was a 83 3.8L 185hp with 4 barrell. I bought it complete and fully assembled all i had to do was connect the 2 harness plugs and a couple wires.

I installed it and the day i started it for the first time it fired right up so i was happy because i never heard it run when i bought it.
The first time on the lake it ran great no issues
second time it ran fine to the fishing spot about a 2 mile run. anchored for a while then fired it up to head back. it fired right up but when i went to hit the gas it ran like crap it wouldnt get above 2200 rpms and was bogging bad.

I changed the water fuel seperator, no change
I changed the coil and the bog was gone so i was happy, atleast i thought i was.
I shut it off to turn on the muffs so i could run it. when i went to start it, it cranked for like 20 seconds before it would start normally after running, it would fire right up in like 3 seconds. I shut it off and it did the same thing i would have to try several times to get it started.
Once it starts it runs fine no bog sounds good gets right up on plane. but if i shut it off its hard to start. it dosent matter if it sits for 2 minutes or 5 hours it still has a long crank time.

I checked all my connections on the coil and there all fine.
I started to think maybe bad coil out of the box so i did some testing.
I checked the ign switch and thats working fine
i checked the shift interupt switch and that seems ok
i checked power at the pos side of coil and that is good with key on and cranking. i checked the neg side of coil and it had power coming from it. correct me if im wrong but that cant be right. i took my test light and connected it to the neg side of batt and neg side of coil and it lite up.....
i disconnected the 2 purple wires from coil and connected a wire to pos side of coil, i had a buddy crank the motor and i touched it to the batt and the boat fired right up. we did it a couple times and it started everytime.
I reconnected the purp wires and it cranked forever before starting.
i disconnected the gray tach lead from coil and still the same thing.

Questions i have are,
because its a 90 boat that had the 4.3 with thunderbolt iv ign and now it has the 3.8 with the points ign is there wires in the harness that need to be changed or disconnected? both ends of the harness ends have the same amount of connections.

why is there power coming from neg side of coil?

i still have my 4.3 ign system coil, dist, wire harness etc, can i replace my 3.8 points setup up with my 4.3 thunder bolt setup?

why would just changing the coil give it a starting issue?

thanks for the help!!!!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: need help with 1983 merc 185 v6

Questions i have are,
because its a 90 boat that had the 4.3 with thunderbolt iv ign and now it has the 3.8 with the points ign is there wires in the harness that need to be changed or disconnected? both ends of the harness ends have the same amount of connections.

why is there power coming from neg side of coil?

i still have my 4.3 ign system coil, dist, wire harness etc, can i replace my 3.8 points setup up with my 4.3 thunder bolt setup?

why would just changing the coil give it a starting issue?

thanks for the help!!!!!

No, you can't use the 4.3 dissy... The 3.8L is an uneven firing engine, the 4.3 is even. Did you put a resistor (or resistive wire) in the coil circuit when you set it up?

If the points were open when you did your voltage readings, then yes, you'll have 12 volts on the negative side of the coil.

Chris.....

tommyb6273

Cadet

no i did not put a resistor in line. not really sure where i would put one. i did see the new coil said no resistor on the box.
the wiring harness on the motor is for the 83 in the wiring diagrams it shows the 2 different purple wires on pos sode of coil one is supposed to be a resistance wire. do i need to ad a seperate resistor? if so what do i need and where does it go? would that cause the cranking issue?

thanks for the help

achris

Without looking closely at hybrids I can't tell how it's wired up, so can't tell you why different things happen. Because of the differences in the ignition systems using the 4.3 harness on the 3.8 could cause problems....

Sorry, but I can't be of much help without just guessing....

Chris......

If you're using the 83 harness you need a coil that says 'use with resistor', and that could account for the hard starting....

tommyb6273

Cadet

Chris, i just checked my manuel and it shows 1 6 5 4 3 2 as the firing order for the 3.8 and all the different models of the 4.3L

tommyb6273

Cadet

when i bought the motor it was complete with wiring harness installed. all i did was connect the grounds trim pump wires, and connected the 2 ends of the boat wiring harness and the motor harness

achris

Chris, i just checked my manuel and it shows 1 6 5 4 3 2 as the firing order for the 3.8 and all the different models of the 4.3L

It's nothing to do with the firing order, it's the angle of the crankshaft (sort of)... The 4.3 fires every 120?, nice and even. The 3.8 fires alternately 108? and 132?, not so even....

Chris......

tommyb6273

Cadet

With key in on position motor off what should the volts be at the + side of the coil? I checked it today and i got 5.55, that seems low shouldnt it be atleast 8 volts? if that is to low how do i correct it?

achris

With key in on position motor off what should the volts be at the + side of the coil? I checked it today and i got 5.55, that seems low shouldnt it be atleast 8 volts? if that is to low how do i correct it?

With the points closed, that voltage sounds ok... Remember that the 8 volts is when the engine is running and the dwell will 'average' the voltage between when the points are open and closed....

Did you change the coil to one that needs an external resistor? If you have one in there that has an internal resistor ('use without resistor), then you will get the problems you appear to have...

Chris.....

tommyb6273

Cadet

The coil i put in was without resistor. I took the coil back today and swaped it for a new one and im still having the same problem.Any ideas? I just had the carb rebuilt so i dont think its a fuel issue

achris

When did you last change the points, rotor and condenser?

Chris.......