Cruising then nothing....

HuffNDovak

Recruit
Took the boat out for the second time, the previous owners the first time. I know them well they maintained the boat very well, I'm not sure exaclty what happened and thats why I'm here asking. I used to have an account but this is a new one.

Well to start I just bought a 1987 SunRunner 220 with a 230hp/v8 with a alpha one mercruiser i/o

Boat is in great shape, I test drove it, was on it many times last year, anyways, took it out the first time and cruising along at about 3800 rpms started to decelerate and then felt a small jerk or the boat "popping" out of gear, no noises or anything bad, as I went to start up again, it wouldn't move or engage into gear, forward and reverse nothing. I shut it off, then restarted it and tried again, same thing. Shut the battery down and my uncle came and towed us to the dock and was going to check it out for me, well the boat wouldn't turn over once we were at the dock, basically like the batteries were dead, sitting at about 12 volts on the guage...thought it should start:confused:

Well I pulled the batteries and tested the outdrive once we got back to the house, I put it in forward and spun the prop it clicked one way and then engaged fine turning it right i think, pulled it back into reverse and the opposite like it should be.....so to me, everything checked out gear wise? I may be wrong, just wondering if anyone can steer me in the correct position, the shifter cable seems to be enganging fine. Maybe it needs an adjustment??!!!

Seriously I bought this boat two days ago, I have all service records for it, its been maintained well, I just have horrible luck, I'm hoping its something small.:facepalm: If anyone can steer me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Made it halway across the lake about 3 miles lol....:mad:

HuffNDovak

Recruit
Re: Cruising then nothing....

I'm lost and going to work on it today. Any pointers would help, lots of views but no input ladies and gents!?

Bondo

Staff member

Boat is in great shape, I test drove it, was on it many times last year, anyways, took it out the first time and cruising along at about 3800 rpms started to decelerate and then felt a small jerk or the boat "popping" out of gear, no noises or anything bad, as I went to start up again, it wouldn't move or engage into gear, forward and reverse nothing.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Sorry for the delay in answerin',...

Check the oil in the drive for metal, or water...

Check the prop for a Bad hub....

Possibly, the motor Coupler spun,... Pull the drive, 'n have a peek at it...

JJJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will the engine crank over at all? If not and you know the battery is good, do you hear any noise - thud, clunk, normal starter, etc?

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

I would separate the 2 problems and work on one at a time.
A) Why won't the engine start? Will it crank? If not, bypass the start switch at the helm and jump 12V directly to the small terminal on the starter solenoid. If it cranks but won't start, does the coil have 12V+? Are you sure it's getting fuel?

B) Once you have the engine running test the drive as Bond-o said.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Start the engine on muffs, and look behind the engine and see if the shaft going into the coupler is turning.
Have a look around the shaft where it goes into the coupler, see any metal particles?