cable adjustment

timing_ca

Seaman Apprentice
I've a 73' 888 merc. and I've looked at the manual..little lost as to how to adjust the throttle/shift cables the manual tells you how on 200/225,so I'm thinking it's all the same. your input would be greatly appreciated thanks Rob :D

timing_ca

Seaman Apprentice
Re: cable adjustment

thanks I'll give it a try, my concern is that I need to move the shifter to far forward to get throttle response so I'm thinking the cable needs adjustment at the carb. achris the serial # on the engine is 4169655, that doesn't seem to fit with the #'s in manual
thanks Rob

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... the serial # on the engine is 4169655, that doesn't seem to fit with the #'s in manual
thanks Rob

That's because you have too many numbers... 7 digits is all that should be there....

Chris....

timing_ca

Seaman Apprentice

achris there's only 7 #'s there. the manual starts with 377/378 and goes down from there maybe the previous owner changed it? I don't know he never said and I asked if everything was original but oh well it's mine now and I'll make her better then when I got her :D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

achris there's only 7 #'s there. the manual starts with 377/378 and goes down from there maybe the previous owner changed it? I don't know he never said and I asked if everything was original but oh well it's mine now and I'll make her better then when I got her :D

Yep, there's only 7.. :facepalm:.. Must be losing it in my old age..

The year you gave (1973) is not the year of your engine. Your engine is 1975, for which you need this manual -> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1TAvwZ3TjhfOTI5OTMyZTMtNDNkZi00MDAyLWE5MTYtMTI5N2MyNDM3NjZm

Chris..

timing_ca

Seaman Apprentice

the serial #for boats says manufactured in 73' so I assumed the engine would be the same yr, so I'm thinking it's been changed.
Rob