1974 StarCraft

bprz09

Cadet
I am new here and I am also new to the world of boat motors. I know the basic concepts from the work I've done from rebuilding Atv motors and doing motor swaps in cars, but I know there is a lot more going on with boat motors so I would appreciate any help and advice I could get. Last summer I picked up my first boat a 1974 Starcraft with a 50HP Johnson Motor, the owner said he had let it sit for 7 years and said that the boat was winterized ( I am not too sure how true that is). In any case he said he it hadn?t tried to start the motor, so I picked it relatively cheap. I got the motor to start and gutted the floor out. I am in the process of putting the carpet. Now this past winter I did not winterize it which i know it is bad because things came up and I didn't get a chance to do it but I started the motor this past weekend. The new spark plugs form last summer needed to be cleaned and it started up right away. My concerns are where water has been coming out in the lower unit which i hope i didn't break anything. I ran it for about 20-30 min so i hope i didn't do anything bad. Please give me any advice , Thank you ahead of time.

IMG_0023.jpgIMG_0911.jpgIMG_0912.jpgIMG_0913.jpgIMG_0914.jpg

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: 1974 StarCraft

Welcome aboard! I don't known much about engines so ill leave that to the more knowledgeable folks.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Relax you didnt break anything. You will need to do a search on here about cleaning carbs and doing the water pump. Check the lower unit at the same time.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Welcome aboard..I know more about inboard motors than outboards, but...
Look at that mid section above where the water is leaking from. jB welded patch work?
me thinks you may want to find a parts motor with a blown powerhead and use the parts motors lower.
There is an entire ob repar section as well and those guys are a lot smarter than i am.
Good luck!

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome aboard. What size and model of starcraft? If you're real worried about water in the lower unit, and freezing, pull the bottom plug. You should check it every so often anyway. If it is sort of brownish, it means you have water in it. If the water broke the case, they're not that expensive in a scrap yard, or jb weld, if it's not too big. Since it's probably thawed out now, run it awhile on muffs and if there is a crack in the housing you will see oil dripping. This is after you make sure there is oil in it. On my little boat, I drain my lower unit every fall as it gets a little water in. I have broken on, and bout a couple that had been jb welded. It's easy to fill back up. Put the engine up, tipped to the side, with both plugs pulled start putting oil in the bottom plug, roll the oil container up, til it comes out the top hole. Holding the oil jug still in the bottom hole, put the top plug in tight. Take the oil jug away, you shouldn't get more than 1 or 2 drops out til you get the bottom plug in. Not too much to winterizing an ob.

bprz09

Cadet

Welcome aboard. What size and model of starcraft? If you're real worried about water in the lower unit, and freezing, pull the bottom plug. You should check it every so often anyway. If it is sort of brownish, it means you have water in it. If the water broke the case, they're not that expensive in a scrap yard, or jb weld, if it's not too big. Since it's probably thawed out now, run it awhile on muffs and if there is a crack in the housing you will see oil dripping. This is after you make sure there is oil in it. On my little boat, I drain my lower unit every fall as it gets a little water in. I have broken on, and bout a couple that had been jb welded. It's easy to fill back up. Put the engine up, tipped to the side, with both plugs pulled start putting oil in the bottom plug, roll the oil container up, til it comes out the top hole. Holding the oil jug still in the bottom hole, put the top plug in tight. Take the oil jug away, you shouldn't get more than 1 or 2 drops out til you get the bottom plug in. Not too much to winterizing an ob.

It's a 1972 14 foot Starcraft Carpi, I aapreciate the help.... If there is anything else I'd appreciate it! Thanks everyone for the other adivce!