2005 Yamaha F75TLRD Telltale seems to be plugged

Trackbolt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My brother in law had me take a look at this Yamaha 4 stroke 75 hp engine last fall. He said that the tell tale had gradually stopped working. He asked me to replace his water pump. The old pump was in good condition but being six years old I installed the new one. The motor started and ran cool but the telltale still was not working. I suspect that the party barge that this motor shoves around had been on a sandbar or two over the years and it may be likely that by fact and that it is a salt water motor it may be clogged with sand or scale.
We looked at it again this weekend after spending the rest of last fall and the winter on the lift. I ran some .090 trimmer line through the hose and it came to a stop after going about two feet. The tell tale line dissapears behind the intake manifold and that is about as far as the line will go into the tube.
Can someone tell me from where the telltale line exits the engine block or before it makes its way to the fitting on the cowl. Are ther any sensors or check valves along the way? It would not seem likely.
I am new to the four stroke engines and my brother in law bought a Selock repair manual. I'd rather have the OEM manual as the SELOC manual does not seem to be of much help. I would like to be able to trace it from where it exits the water jacket.
All of my experience with outboards are 30+ year old twin and three cylinder OMC's. They are pretty simple compared to this motor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

Triton II

Commander
Re: 2005 Yamaha F75TLRD Telltale seems to be plugged

There is a brass 90 degree union on the right hand side of the block with a black hose attached to it. Before you get too carried away, I had the same issue with my telltale and after checking the temperature was fine, I managed to unblock it by running at WOT for a few minutes. 34.1 knots GPS and a working telltale! :D

TII

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the motor running blow compressed air thur the tell tail for a second or two and it should clear up

rascogil

Recruit

With the motor running blow compressed air thur the tell tail for a second or two and it should clear up

does the water coming out the exhaust indicat anything if the tell tail is not streaming Yamaha 50 ywo cycle