Who Manufactures Mercruiser Engines???

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well...you can tell from the question that I am in the very early stages of acquiring knowledge of I/O setups.<br /><br />Does Mercruiser actually make their own engine blocks? I had always assumed that GM or Ford or Chrysler actually made the engines...and Mercruiser essentially adapted them for marine use and then added the sterndrive.<br /><br />True? I'm looking for resources to bone up on this area.<br /><br />Thanks so much for reading, Chuck

Laddies

Banned
Re: Who Manufactures Mercruiser Engines???

Your right they are spec. engines that Mercury adapts

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Mercruiser does purchase the engines from the major manufacturers. Mercruiser does not adapt these engines. Think of it like this, here is a list of specs, can you build the engines to these specs, and how much per engine? Long blocks are identical to what would be in a truck, except for the core plugs. The engine accessories (alt,water pump, carb, dist) are modified for marine use. Did you think Mercruiser buys XXX number of engines, then rips them apart, then reassembles them? The engine manufacturer even paints them black.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

actually it depends on the model. several models of the SBC are mnanufactured,cast and machined and assembled for GM at mercs stillwater OK plant.<br /> other engines get ordered as block assy and the marine hardware added. just depends. thats why ford got out of the marine market as did chysler in the US. most the warrenty claims come from the marine sector and less than 10% of the engine sales. although rumour has it chysler has a marinization program for the V-10. sweeeeet :) <br /> google, mercruiser stillwater OK, for more

KaGee

Admiral

I can see it now... the two rednecks on the water... in a beat up rowboat powered by some ancient outboard... drueling as some dude goes by with his new V-10... "Hey, is that a HEMI??....SWEEET!" :D

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I'd take the beat up rowboat.....lots of post about Merc problems, zero about beat up old rowboats with ancient motors (which I have a 1952 3hp Johnson, a 12 foot aluminum rowboat/storage shed in the winter, and zero problems). The other 3 boats all being worked on at the moment. A V-10. Why all the extra weight and parts to break, rust, and replace? Hop up a SBC, and say eat my wake! A long time a go, someone had a good idea...oars! Then someone said, "Hey, I gotta idea", and it has been downhill (river?) ever since :D

TilliamWe

Banned

Keith, sorry to spoil your dream, but that V-10 ain't a Hemi!

TilliamWe

Banned

seakaye, go to gmpowertrain.com you will find the marine engines that you will see most often.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by TilliamWe:<br /> Keith, sorry to spoil your dream, but that V-10 ain't a Hemi!
Dang... I thought they made a hemi version... oh well! Would make a good commercial anyway!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

so some one really thinks they can hop up a 5.7 chebby to keep up with a stock 500HP 8.0L V-10?<br /> man I gotta have some of what your smokin :) :) <br />methinks someone has not played with some of the mag HO 8.1 chevies. the hole shot torque is gut twisting. have a look here.http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:FpeKopMzDlYJ:www.ilmor.com/marine/media/articles/Pokerrun/Viper_test.pdf+chrysler+v-10+marinization&hl=en<br /> and the CITGO team in 04 ran a race up the orinoco river in VE with a pair of them. <br /> I hope to try the race in 07 with a 19' hydrosports with a 225 jonnyrude. have a look at this site for the v-10 boats.<br /> http://riosrally.com/riosrally-nigelhooklog.pdf <br /> I hope I can do it in 07. would be a ride of a lifetime. I already have a friend in VE that has been a navigator twice and a mechanic 3 times for it and his brother has done it 7 times.<br /> cant compete with team citgo but if I make it to the end I win anyway, in fact if I make it to the start it will be great :) :) .

Bondo

Staff member

in fact if I make it to the start it will be great :) :)
You My Friend,......... Are a Very Very Lucky Man........................ ;) <br /><br /><br />Mercruiser hasn't used a Ford motor since the 70s,...........<br />Unless you count the Ford Parts used in Merc.'s Own 470 motors,.........<br />And I think they finally Died in the mid-80s,...........<br /><br />It's been Chevy,...... Or Chevy ever since.........

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not lucky:). I am going to blow a chunk of my retirement fund :) . figgure I would rather poo in my pants in a rundown oldfolks home and dream of the race than poo in my pants in a better one wishing I had tried :) <br /> either way I am pooing and dreaming.<br />if I can come across a decent 19 or so jet drive hull I have a 340HP 460ford that would drive an impeller just fine :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and so far all the testing of the chysler V-10 has been with mercs, maybe they should try a Volvo.

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

if I can come across a decent 19 or so jet drive hull I have a 340HP 460ford that would drive an impeller just fine
How much you lookin to spend? The one I'm thinking of is already fitted with a 460 and an older Berkley(cover inside the transom).

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not much :) :) but if one were avalible about what would it cost theoretically? and it would depend on how much of the running gear was left.

ron7000

Banned

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> so some one really thinks they can hop up a 5.7 chebby to keep up with a stock 500HP 8.0L V-10?<br />
yep, it's called the LS7. 7 Liters not 5.7, but for arguements sake it can be considered a hopped up 5.7 350. External dimenions are no different than the LS1/LS6 346 cid 5.7L <br />but then just about anything can be hopped up one way or another to beat something else these days.<br /><br />my biggest gripe with marinized engines are the *******ized electronics and fuel systems that are put on them, which are no more reliable than the automotive equipment, and most times functionally no different, and repair parts are only available through marine shops at marine price.

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

rodbolt,<br />
not much but if one were avalible about what would it cost theoretically?
I saw the guy this weekend that owns the one I was thinking of and he said 2k. He would probably entertain offers though. Its an older Ranger(not a bass boat),complete, drop in the water and go. Drop me a line at olbuddyjack@hotmail.com if interested and I'll get more info.