sizzling tin

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm not sure how to describe the noise I heard while anchored up fishing except to say 'frying bacon'. The boat is a '72 super sport and the noise came from under the splashwell but only when a boat would pass by on plane. The noise really freaked me out until I put it together with the boats going by. I thought the boat motor was fixing to blow up lol. The boats going by (mostly a couple of jet skis) where at least 90 yards away.

Anyone else heard this noise before? Or, know what caused it?

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: sizzling tin

It's probably vibration from the passing boats. Your hull is absorbing it and the splashwell is acting like a speaker by vibrating.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Any possibility you have a bee hive or a big ole wasp nest up under there. Maybe a rattlesnake in the bilge. I aint laughing, I'm serious.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Have heard this many times on many tin boats.
It sounds like a tea pot, starting to simmer inside, about 1 minute before it starts to whistle.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have heard this many times on many tin boats.
It sounds like a tea pot, starting to simmer inside, about 1 minute before it starts to whistle.

That's a great description roscoe!

It's probably vibration from the passing boats. Your hull is absorbing it and the splashwell is acting like a speaker by vibrating.

This is what I figured it was after I put the noise together with the passing boat. Sorta like the old soup can on the end of string thing... and the water is the string. The noise came from the bilge area which is the only place on the boat not stuffed with closed cell foam. A nice little amplifier there I guess.

barato2

Commander

if it gets bothersome, you could always stick some of the Dynamat type stuff on the underside of splashwell. or the bottom feeder alternative, asphalt roofing....