Honda 150 stalling after running for a while - Need help.

RickHonda150hp

Recruit
Honda 150hp; 250 hrs; new in 2008 mounted on a Sweetwater pontoon.

Problem: Fours times this weekend, after the motor was running for a while - 20 mins to 90 minutes, motor will sputter and cut off; will not start right away; wait 5-10 minutes and motor starts fine and runs until it does it again.

Motor turns over and runs normal otherwise. Fuel primer bulb not "sucked" in when problem occurs - a mechanic said to check that; new NGK iridium plugs have 50hrs on them; runs fine at any RPM otherwise; we don't run wide open - about 3000 rpms but do run WOT occasionally without problems; all oils changed for season; fuel filters never changed; there is a honda fuel filter mounted on the transom (orange see-thru enclosure); use only nonethanol gas from reputable marina.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda 150 stalling after running for a while - Need help.

Honda 150hp; 250 hrs; new in 2008 mounted on a Sweetwater pontoon.

Problem: Fours times this weekend, after the motor was running for a while - 20 mins to 90 minutes, motor will sputter and cut off; will not start right away; wait 5-10 minutes and motor starts fine and runs until it does it again.

Motor turns over and runs normal otherwise. Fuel primer bulb not "sucked" in when problem occurs - a mechanic said to check that; new NGK iridium plugs have 50hrs on them; runs fine at any RPM otherwise; we don't run wide open - about 3000 rpms but do run WOT occasionally without problems; all oils changed for season; fuel filters never changed; there is a honda fuel filter mounted on the transom (orange see-thru enclosure); use only nonethanol gas from reputable marina.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Assuming the water temp sensor alarm is working and not going off before shutdown. I would bring some kind of flamable aersol (brake,intake,etc. spray) next time she quits spray the fluid into the air intake. Make sure belts are turning and starter is working, trying cranking. if it fires for a sec or two then dies. You'll know its a fuel problem. If your spraying the fluid and cranking and still no luck, check ignition. If ignition is present I would check to see if your water temp sensor alarm is working.

RickHonda150hp

Recruit

No alarms. I heard the overheat alarm in March when I started the engine without the motor deep enough in the water. The pee stream appears good and strong.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like theres an spark and/or fuel problem. The honda accords between 94-97 had a common problem with the fuel pump relays getting to hot and cutting the fuel pump out. Different situation but could have similar problem. I would follow the above directions to know what to chase. If you have air, fuel, fire. Then its more then likely a timing (sensors, etc.) or electrical issue. Smell for fuel leaks, strong fuel odor after shutdown.