2001 70hp johnson stalls when put in gear

Orbits3

Recruit
Hey guys, I am new to boating so I have no experience with outboards but I do have automotive experience. I have a 2001 johnson 70hp and engen its ot of the water with the muffs it runs great. I can shift into and out of gear without any problems. When I put it in the water and shift into either fwd or rev it stalls out unless I give it more gas right away. To me it seems like it's not getting enough gas or the idle is too low. Like I said though I have zero experience with outboards. If anyone has any ideas on what to check it would be greatly appreciated.

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 2001 70hp johnson stalls when put in gear

Outboards will run great out of the water when they don't have the additional back pressure on the exhaust. Check your spark on all cylinders with a spark gauge set at 7/16", check your compression make sure all cylinders are within 10%. When was the last time the carbs were cleaned? You might have a dirty carb(s).

Orbits3

Recruit
Re: 2001 70hp johnson stalls when put in gear

Outboards will run great out of the water when they don't have the additional back pressure on the exhaust. Check your spark on all cylinders with a spark gauge set at 7/16", check your compression make sure all cylinders are within 10%. When was the last time the carbs were cleaned? You might have a dirty carb(s).
As far as I know the carbs were never cleaned. I will check the spark plug gap and the compression when I get home. If the carbs do need cleaning where would be a good place to get replacement gaskets?
Thanks