1985 force 125 tilt/trim pump motor replacement?

Rick Bass

Cadet
I have 1 1985 force 125 white tilt pump motor that I need to replace... I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for this I also don't know if I need to replace the resovoir or both if the the old one fits the new ones... hoping someone knows .. Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 force 125 tilt/trim pump motor replacement?

What's it doing?
Leaking down,replace the hydraulic pump.
Not running,replace the electric motor.
Most reservoirs will interchange to the new parts.
Need the whole assembly or just a motor?.

RRitt

Captain

I have 1 1985 force 125 white tilt pump motor that I need to replace... I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for this I also don't know if I need to replace the resovoir or both if the the old one fits the new ones... hoping someone knows .. Thanks

They have not made that exact motor since 1990's. Now they make one that uses same reservoir as the 2w. The reservoir is taller and not all three mounting bolts are easy to reach but it is a universal fit across a wide range of engines. When going from smaller reservoir to larger you will need to bend your tubes to be 1" lower and with a different angle. If you try to pull the tubes into new ports then you will strip out your valve body ports. The new valve bodies are not nearly as good as the old ones so you will either have to get yours rebuilt or buy use an inferior product. Bend the tubes first and you avoid this. With all of that said, the $140 china motors are adequate. The top bolts are not stainless so slather them with liquid electrical tape or plasticoat.

Rick Bass

Cadet

I had to hit the top of it in order for it to turn on while holding the switch. also it slowly goes down over a couple of minutes

Rick Bass

Cadet

where do i get the china motors?

Rick Bass

Cadet

IMAG0297.jpgIMAG0298.jpgOk it is a 3 wire... there are no relays the green and white are directly wired to the switch in front and the black is directly wired to ground. But the electric motor is not working...attached are pics... when i turn the rotor by hand with it installed on the reservoir it turns freely should I have resistance?

Thanks!

RRitt

Captain

the motors aren't worth fixing. it costs like $80 in parts and 4 hours of work. So don't worry about hurting the motor but do worry about hurting the valve body. Put the armature back into the hole and slowly turn it until you feel it drop down into gear. leave it there to keep water out. In emergency you can use electric drill on armature to raise and lower. it will probably permanently ruin the motor. so to other readers - don't use a drill on a 2w armature. Your motor is probably worth fixing - or at least it was until you scratch up the armature with your drill.

you may not feel much resistance turning the armature by hand since you can't sustain the rpm needed to build pressure.

You can find the china motors anywhere. Iboats, amazon, google shopping, ebay, etc etc. If they are not loudly proclaiming the name of manufacturer then it is WAI-Arrowhead out of Taiwan. Box, shipping labels, and prices may vary, but there is really only one motor being shipped in from Asia. Decent motor. Parent company has tons of experience with fractional HP DC motors and it shows. However, they don't have much experience with waterproof marine motors and that also shows. It's so cheap that its disposable so you just buy a new trim motor every five years or so,.

jimglidewell

Recruit

You can find the china motors anywhere. Iboats, amazon, google shopping, ebay, etc etc. If they are not loudly proclaiming the name of manufacturer then it is WAI-Arrowhead out of Taiwan. Box, shipping labels, and prices may vary, but there is really only one motor being shipped in from Asia. Decent motor. Parent company has tons of experience with fractional HP DC motors and it shows. However, they don't have much experience with waterproof marine motors and that also shows. It's so cheap that its disposable so you just buy a new trim motor every five years or so,.

First off, thanks much for your replies. I am in the same boat as the original poster - I have a 1985 Force 125 with a dead pump motor.

I have found a replacement motor+reservoir on ebay, but I am a little nervous about doing this myself should I need to bend the tubes (which appears to be needed, as the mounting arm for the existing reservoir clearly extends below the bottom of the reservoir itself, unlike the replacement where the bottom of the mounting plate appears even with the base). Can I buy the motor + reservoir and simply unbolt the two screws tying those two pieces together and bolt the black motor on my existing reservoir?

I suspect the answer is "no" as the new reservoir is longer, and therefore the shaft will be too long for the existing reservoir...

Given that is likely the case, what is the safest way to bend the pipes around without crimping or cracking them?

Thanks for any advice...

RRitt

Captain

you should attach your valve body to the reservoir while it is in your garage. i see a fair amount of damaged stuff caused by trying to put put motor onto valve body after valve body is installed.

best way is to have the two back tubes attached to pump but not engine and the two front tubes attached to engine but not pump. don't tighten the back tubes and you can still wiggle the around. The engine end of tube is very easy to attach. after you get them attached but not tightened then attach the other two tubes to valve body ports. mush easier to install and almost no chance of port stripping. you hardly even need to pre-bend the tubes if you do it this way.