Need advice on identifying and removing Volvo Penta Outdrive

jsgif99

Recruit
I need help identifying and steps to pulling what I think is a Volvo Penta 250 or 280. There is a adjustment
screw on the very top of the drive that I have no idea what it is for. The engine is a 318 Chrysler Marine
that has gotten water into it and is seized. This is my first post and would like to thank the Iboats forum
members in advance. I am sure that I will have many other questions in the coming months.

Attachments

• Boat 1.jpg
    Boat 1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Boat 2.jpg
    Boat 2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 3

jsgif99

Recruit
Re: Need advice on identifying and removing Volvo Penta Outdrive

Thank you Captain for the reply. As you can see I have made some success but am stuck. The Gear Box will not move in any direction. I have the gear drive lifted off but am unsure how to pull it off. I do not know what the splined coupler is and how to push it down. Any suggestions and I would greatly appreatiate it.

Attachments

• Stern.jpg
    Stern.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Stern1.jpg
    Stern1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Stern2.jpg
    Stern2.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 1

captmello

Captain

There is a coupler below the upper gear box but it shouldn't hold you up. More common, is the ujoint yoke seizing to the drive shaft in the flywheel housing. Could this be your issue? The ujoints will come out with the upper.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you will have to disconnect the linkage from the bellcrank to the upper, and make sure you removed the clamps off the bellows. I agree, your u-joints could be seized on the shaft.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Put the outdrive all the way down, it will allow the ujoints to flex a little more so you can get the upper gear box up about another 1/2". Then with a screwdriver, make sure the coupler connecting the upper to the lower is pushed all the way down. You should then be able to twist the gear box on it's side and pull it off.