moomba movius , in shalow water ,depth finder

sebasendallas

Seaman Apprentice
hi guys i just bought a 2000 Moomba mobius , i used to have a 2001 vip vision ( i/a) and i hited rock on botton more than one when i was clouse to the cost , im scare to to do the same with my inboard , do you have any tips ( i cant control how high put my propeller any more ( maby a depth finder ?? any brand or mode ?? thanks

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: moomba movius , in shalow water ,depth finder

Don't get so close to the shore ? :)
Seriously, get a chart of the waters you are boating in and look at the online daily water levels for that lake. Navionics has a great one for Iphone/Ipad. The charts will show depth at the top of the conservation pool and if the daily level is negative you subtract that from the chart to get approximate water depth in that area. A depth finder is a good choice but is hit or miss when using under power. Also when on plane by the time you see the depth it is too late.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Safe boating isn't overrated.

Go slower when in shallow water, and in unfamiliar waters.

A depth finder will help some, but as stated above the bottom can come up faster than you can react to slow down.

Experience will be the best teacher, after you tear up enough outdrives you'll learn to slow down, be alert, and watch what you're doing.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On the plus side, the inboard has a shallower draft then your i/O. It is a good idea with an inboard to carry a spare prop and a kit for changing it. I like a 'harmonic' puller but lots of people use a c-clamp puller. It's also a good idea to carry a mask with you so you can check the prop easily on the water if a line gets wrapped on it.
The best solution is to know the water you are on and be careful in unknown water. If you get a depth finder, set the depth up so it reads the depth below the lowest part of the boat. On yours that's the skegs in the center. A depth finder will just give you a hint at what is happening in front of you, however. It only reads below you so if you are coming up to a rock it can't read it until you've hit it.

sebasendallas

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guy for the info , im geting a extra prop just in case thanks