The Merc 120 I/O in my '68 Holiday-V LIVES! Count down to Independance day is on.

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
A few weeks ago I found a 1968 Holiday-V 18 foot with a 120 Mercruiser I/O. When I visited the previous owner to try and make a deal he bumped it over by pouring some gas down the carb and for me that was enough to take a little chance on it. It had been stored since 1996. The overall shape is about a 6 on a 1-10 scale.

Next spring or this fall it is definitely going to get re-decked due to a few soft spots. It could use paint because of the "touh-ups" the P/O did to the paint job but I can live with ugly paint. I'd rather enjoy the spray of the lake at W.O.T. while people point and laugh and say "look at that ugly boat go!"

So when I was looking at it the P/O was proud to show me that he had replaced the cap, rotor, points, condenser, and coil. Nice except for the fact that they were A, automotive grade and B the plug and coil wires (original Kiekhafer) didn't seat fully into the contacts of the cap. I didn't say anything about using automotive grade or worse yet mixing auto and marine. No reason to hurt his feelings and the price of $475.00 was firm anyway.

A couple of weeks ago I tried to get he started as is. I poured some fuel down the carb and dropped the cut fuel line into a gas can. I know it isn't the safest way but I was trying to start it, not trying to go boating. No dice. Cranked well and bumped a couple times but no starting.

Last night I went on Napa auto parts site and reserved a cap, rotor, wires, points, condenser. All marine grade but at NAPA prices. $45.00 later I have a running Merc 120.

I do intend to switch over to the electronic ignition instead of the points but for now I wanted to make sure she ran before laying out $120.00 for the kit plus whatever the higher power coil will set me back. I also want to covert to an internally regulated alternator but that will likely wait until I need to replace the existing alternator. At idle I was showing +25 amps on the guage. When I saw the water temp climb near the edge of red I figured the impeller was shot. When I looked back at the guage and saw it had dropped back to the middle of the green I was pleasantly surprised. The t-stat must have opened and water must've been flowing. I'm still going to put a new impeller into her and a new t-stat. I'm one of those not going to push my luck kind of guys over less then $50.00 worth of parts. I have the impeller kit and I'll order the T-stat and alternator belt when I order the transom re-seal kit from iboats.

So as far as maintenance items I'm already going to replace the bellows, lower shift cable, gimbal bearing, impeller,T-stat, and carb kit. I'll inspect the u-joints when I have the drive off. Should I be taking apart the manifold and replacing the gaskets as well or should I leave well enough alone if there don't seem to be any issues in that area? What else should I be looking to replace outside of what I have listed?

With a little money and a little work she should be in the water on Independance day. My master mechanic buddy is going to rebuild the carb for me.

InMotion

Commander
Re: The Merc 120 I/O in my '68 Holiday-V LIVES! Count down to Independance day is on

Hey AJR --- nice going! Glad to see there will be another splash this summer!!!

Non motor wise --- Given that the floor has a few soft spots --- have you given the transom a once over as well? Better to be safe then sorry when out in the middle of the lake! Also, how's the steering --- if it's sat for 16 years --- is it stiff or working freely?

Hope that helps!

Jim

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: The Merc 120 I/O in my '68 Holiday-V LIVES! Count down to Independance day is on

Hey AJR --- nice going! Glad to see there will be another splash this summer!!!

Non motor wise --- Given that the floor has a few soft spots --- have you given the transom a once over as well? Better to be safe then sorry when out in the middle of the lake! Also, how's the steering --- if it's sat for 16 years --- is it stiff or working freely?

Hope that helps!

Jim

I looked at the transom and it looks really well sealed and I don't feel any soft spots. When I pull the gimbal housing I plan on removing the Gimbal ring and the transom assembly to do a true inspection.

The steering feels really good. Not loose and not tight, just good.

Thanks for the well wishes.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Was she a saltwater boat? If so I'd pull the manifold and check it for excessive corrosion.
Do you see any rusty stains on it? It very well maybe fine. There is a thin blocking plate at the rear of the manifold, just below the elbow that the bellows connect to. This plate can wear out faster than the actual manifold, wold be worth a quick look and pull.
Congrats on having her fired up!
You could also yank the t stat, fire her up and see if the temp pegs before cooling back down., I wold guess it would not.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

I wished my vintage gauges worked!!!

Had to go with new ones.......ah the sweet sweet sound of what I call the "gravel mixer" - a sound only a parent could like:cool:

I just redid my carb - I think alot of the I/O's out there have the "bog" because the accelerator pump is weak - also redid the coil/plugs/points - gapped.....all that makes a big difference - what stinks is I had 3 days of picnics this weekend:facepalm:

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kev, she was freshwater for her entire life. I'll probably pull that plate you're talking about just as a matter of a more complete inspection. I don't want to pull the motor but I think I'll drill some rivets and remove the stern cap in order to make removing the transom assembly easier as well as troubleshooting a trim pump issue I have that appears to be a little deeper than just a worn out tilt limit switch.

Starcrafter65, The working guages were a pleasant surprise. Someone on eBay was selling a dash panel that looks similar but different to mine that I considered picking up for $80.00. If you're interested PM me and I'll send you the auction link. Corners of the plastic are broken on mine, as would be expected for a 43 year old vessel.

My buddy called on the way home from Indy last night and we discussed the scope of the project. It bogs when I put her in reverse but not when shifted into forward. He seemed to think the carb could be to blame for that since it only bogs and not dying immediately. He said he can't rebuilt it until after finals (he's a high school auto shop teacher now) but a buddy of his has a dip tank where he can deposit it over a couple of days to really get the varnish cleaned out.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

If she bogs a little when putting in reverse, it may just need the shift cable adjusted. There is a switch interrupter switch as well that momentarily disengages the dog ears so you can shift between fwd and rvse easily without grinding gears off.
I suspect the cable first.

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on your new Holiday and welcome to the '68ers :D

Scott

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Yep..a great year for Holidays