1974 70hp johnson power shift 2 ?????? and auto choke question

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class
on the cowl of my 70 hp 1974 johnson it says power shift ll does this mean there is an electronic shift ?I dont see any relays or solinoids or wires to the lower unit also on the auto choke when i turn the key to on the solinode activates a lil bit that with no toggle choking from me it only moves the choke plates a lil bit but just wonderin why and if there is a fix thanks
if i want full choke the toggle does activate the choke just wonder whats up with the choke moving a lil when key is turned to on

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 70hp johnson power shift 2 ?????? and auto choke question

The choke solenoid has two circuits in it and this is normal. They did have probs with this with hard starting when hot and you can change the wiring so the choke will only work when you use the toggle switch.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

A Power Shift II is a hydro-mechanical gearcase. That means that it does have a mechanical shift cable, but the linkage controls an oil pump in the gearcase like a hydro-electric gearcase. Except without the electric shift solenoids.
Unfortunately, the designers reversed the function of the shift rod so you can only use lower units from a couple of years on that motor.

HappyOurs1

Cadet

I have the same Motor Model# 70ESLR74M

So from what I understand.... it doesnt shift into another higher gear (hydro-matically)?

Also I just purchased mine, rebuilt water pump, gear case lube change, plugs, fuel, Carb tear down & re-build, etc seems to run okay, idle is a bit low & does stall if left to idle for more than 5 seconds.

Power seems to be lacking, I dont have a tach hooked up, but I would think its not reaching full rpm's. A 16ft Tri-hull @ WOT gets me about 25mph or 45kph.... is this normal or should there be more?

Thanks to those that respond