1963 evinrude 40hp big twin no start or kill switch

twitchnbonz

Recruit
i just bought this motor for 100$ and the guy said it works very nicely, however there is no switch of any sort on it, has electric start but no wires. How do i start this beast without a shut off or on setting anywhere? there is a black wire comming out near the spark plugs and one more on the throttle side of the motor but those are all the unconected wires i can find. Please help this is my first boat and first boat motor so im a little clueless, thanks

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1963 evinrude 40hp big twin no start or kill switch

Hi twitch. Welcome to iboats. Is the starter hooked up beneath the cowl, or are all the wires gone? Is there a push button start on the motor itself? You can look in the Top Secret files at the top of the Johnson forum for various wiring diagrams, should you need them. As for the kill switch, your motor may not have one. Lots of vintage motors were designed to be killed by simply turning the throttle all the way down to stall the motor. However, you can easily add a push button, lanyard kill switch for about $10. I put them on all my old motors. You simply run a wire from each set of points to the the M terminals on the back of the switch and you're done. Best of all it has both the push button kill feature as well as the emergency lanyard, should you fall out of the boat. You can either mount the switch on the motor itself, or run the wires up to the helm. However, before you do anything else, make sure the motor has good compression. Anything over 120 psi is good. The cylinders should also be within 10% of each other. Assuming the compression is good, all the rest can be fixed pretty easily. However, if the compression is weak then you may have bigger problems on your hands. Either way, you can get your $100 back by parting out the motor. Check the compression and we'll take it from there.

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-Line-...1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338168682&sr=8-2-fkmr0

lindy46

Captain

That motor should have a wiring harness and external solenoid box. You should see a plug-in connection on the starboard side of the lower cowl. You could easily wire it with a solenoid under the hood and pushbutton start, but make sure you get a marine solenoid, NOT and auto solenoid. The kill switch can also be a pushbutton, connected to one black wire coming from under the flywheel and the other black wire coming off the cut-out switch on the port side of the motor.

twitchnbonz

Recruit

thanks guys i got no wires what soever besides one wire comming out near the sparks with an odd bent over end and one more i cant really see where its comming from both single black wire, i will try to hook up a booster box or straight connect a battery to the starter i think

twitchnbonz

Recruit

here are pick of what im dealing withphoto (16).jpgphoto (17).jpgphoto (18).jpgphoto (19).jpg

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

All of your wiring is gone. The wire from the head is for the temp sensor. The wire to the center of the vacuum cut-off goes to one set of points. The loose black wire went to the kill switch. The other wire for the kill switch would hook to the center of the vacuum cut-off switch. The red wire used to go to the ground side of the starter solenoid. The starter looks like it it rotated 90 degrees. The stud is supposed to face out, not toward the front. Do not try to jump it with the stud that way. You hit the carb with the plus cable and......:eek:

twitchnbonz

Recruit

so what are my options? will she start as is if i pull start the hell out of it? and only 1 post on the starter where is the post for 2nd wire?

lindy46

Captain

Those are a bugger to pull-start. Starter only has 1 post, for the positive. It grounds through the starter bracket. It wouldn't be too difficult to wire it with a push-button start and kill switch on the engine. You will need a proper marine starter solenoid, two pushbuttons (I get the ones with the rubber cup to protect them from the weather - tractor supply stores usually have them), 2 four foot battery cables, one short 4AWG cable to run from the starter solenoid to the starter, and some 10 or 12 guage wire to hook up the starter button to the solenoid and ground. The kill circuit is completed by connecting a second pushbutton to the two black wires coming from under the magneto. You can see one of those wires in your pictures. The second black wire coming from the magneto should connect to the center of the cut-out switch on the port side of the motor. Looks like that wire is already there. Just add a jumper to that connection going to the pushbutton.