question on 1986 eska gamefisher 7.5

movze

Recruit
Hello, I'm new here,and just bought me a gamefisher 7.5 outboard. My question, after I choke and start the motor and set it to run, it runs fine for about a minute and then dies. I have a new gas tank and gas line and new fuel. any suggestions on what could be wrong or what I could check. Thanks

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: question on 1986 eska gamefisher 7.5

Will it restart after it dies?
Do you have to re-prime the fuel line from the remote tank in order to get it to restart?
Make sure the fuel tank vent is open.

Can you tell if it's pumping any water?

M

mrcrabs

pop the welch plug disassemble and soak and clean the carburator and blow it out with air then kit the carb complete, clean that fuel system all the way to the tank screen and change the fuel lines to 1/4 clear yellow, do not half do it or you will be back asking
"now what"

movze

Recruit

Will it restart after it dies?
Do you have to re-prime the fuel line from the remote tank in order to get it to restart?
Make sure the fuel tank vent is open.

Can you tell if it's pumping any water?

Yes, it will start again if you choke it, no I don't have to re-prime the fuel line for it to restart and the fuel tank vent is open. It does spit out some water out of the two holes on the lower unit. Im sorry to say that i"m not much of a mechanic, ( I guess I wouldn't be on here if I were) but I haven't looked under the cover yet. Is there a fuel filter somewhere on the fuel line that I could check ? Thanks for your time

movze

Recruit

pop the welch plug disassemble and soak and clean the carburator and blow it out with air then kit the carb complete, clean that fuel system all the way to the tank screen and change the fuel lines to 1/4 clear yellow, do not half do it or you will be back asking
"now what"

Ok, I'm an idiot, what is a welch plug and where can I order a carb kit ? Thanks

M

mrcrabs

Ok, I'm an idiot,
calling one self a idiot is not good form and most likley not true, what you need is some education and a carburator manual. honestly and frankly not much can be done with out one.
search the web for Tecumseh carb manual or join the Eska yahoo group

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What IS good form is to heed mrcrabs' suggestion: It seems apparent that you have a fuel delivery problem. Address the complete fuel delivery system from tank to carb. Absent Superman's X-ray vision, it's all but impossible to pinpoint any one or more problems. Especially at long range. Over he interwebs.

Don't overlook the valuable resource you have right in front of you: This forum. Browse it. If you see "Eska" in a thread title, read it, even if it isn't a match for your 7.5. The insights you'll gain in learning the workings of the innards of your outboard will pay off later.
Good luck.

movze

Recruit

Thanks for the link Mr. Crabs," I will give it my best to educate myself, and therefore rebuild that carb "

movze

Recruit

Thank you for "your" insight Sir ! , I now will begin searching through the forum. Have a good day !!

M

mrcrabs

send me a PM and I will direct you to the best carb manual for your 7.5