1969 55hp johnson 55esl69c,55es69c????

Can someone please tell me the difference between a 55esl69c and a 55es69c? I have a 55esl69c and trying to get a used service manual off eBay. The manual on eBay just shows the cover and just says 1969 Johnson 55 hp service manual. Will this manual work for both motor models?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1969 55hp johnson 55esl69c,55es69c????

Howdy, bluegrassboy.

Welcome to iboats. :)

The only difference is shaft length. The 55ESL69 is a long shaft, the 55ES69 is a short shaft. They are otherwise the same.

That Manual, if it is the Factory manual, will do fine for both.

Thanks man! I love this site already. I am gonna try to fix up my dads old bass boat. He passed away last month. I know nothing about boat motors. So I will probably have a lot more questions. There is no spark. So now I have to figure out why. Any suggestions?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get the factory service manual first and get back to us. That way we'll be on the same page. Pun intended. LOL.

Get the factory service manual first and get back to us. That way we'll be on the same page. Pun intended. LOL.

Lol. I've been trying to find a spark. I took the top sprocket wheel looking thing off and cleaned the rust off the inside. I will do more work on it when I get back in 3 weeks from my job. I work 3 weeks and off 3 weeks. By that time I will have my service manual. My dad loved that boat and I've made it my own personal mission to get it going and take my kids out fishing in it. I'm just glad I have someone to turn to if I need help....Thank you

I've rewired the whole motor. Got it running great. Having trouble with the shifting in the lower unit. Got the right oil. Yes engine was running. Right voltage to the wires. I know the problem is the metal plunger that goes in the oil pump. Is there a certain adjustment for the rod in the soldnoids? Is there supposed to be a spring or a plastic sleeve in the hole that the metal plunger goes in to the oil pump? My Manuel was showin them?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Do you have the correct manual, specific to your motor? 1968-'69 had a different oil pump/solenoids than later ones. As far as I can remember at the moment, the spool on the end of the solenoid rods goes into the pump, and that's all. There is a spring on the rods and I think a plastic washer between the solenoids. I don't remember it being adjustable like the newer ones.

Yea I have the correct Manuel. Cause I used it to rewire the motor and everything is identical. The numbers on the motor and Manuel are the same. The rod is threaded so that the plastic piece that connects to the metal plunger can be adjusted. I just don't want to adjust it and put it back on 1000 times. Can I just take the lower unit off, leave the oil in it, and turn the shaft with a drill? And connect the wires to a battery? Would it shift like that?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well ok, I'll take your word on the adjustment. However, I just got my manual out and as you said, there is no mention of any adjustment. Newer models DO require adjustment, but they are a very different animal in that area. So I guess I can't help you with that question.

But the question I can answer is yes it will shift at drill speeds. Actually way slower than that. I bench test them with a starter rope wrapped around the shaft, hold one end and pull other end. It should go into neutral within a couple of turns.

Trying not to be a pessimist, but I doubt it is a solenoid problem, unless a previous owner messed with them.

Well I must tell that i ran into some difficulties with the solenoids. It was stuck in foward so I knew something was wrong. I checked the ohms and it was all good. 5 to 7 or something like that. So I took the unit off and found that the metal plunger was Layin in the bottom not hooked to the rod or in the oil pump hole. So I finally got everything in position after several hours. And the lower solenoid wire pulled out.(it was hanging by a thread anyway) so I took the lower solenoid off of a 1970, which didn't have a place to hook the spring to, and fabricated my own solenoid set. I know it sounds stupid but it actually functions like it should when putting voltage to it. So it will have to be adjusted cause I believe it is longer just by a fraction. I will try to send you a pic. And tell me what u think

Ok I did some adjusting. Got the lower unit on a bench spinning shaft with drill. When in neutral will the prop still spin? When I put my foot on the prop it stops and it doesn't take much pressure to stop it. When I put it in the water will the pressure from the water stop the prop? Reverse locks in good and so does foward.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The difference in bearings between forward and reverse gear means that prop will spin in nuetral.

So when I get it in the water and put it in neutral that spin that I am seeing on the bench(in neutral)won't propel the boat?

Ok thanks. I'm seeing some oil when I look up the exhaust. Through the propeller. It's not a lot. What do you recommend. I don't have the special tools to take apart the propeller shaft.