Please Help

Jeremy 772

Cadet
I have a 1995 Johnson sea pro. It sat for 15 minutes after running only a quarter of a mile. It began smoking (electrical smoke) from under the fly wheel. There is a pad with two yellow wires running out that go into a sock that travel under the fly wheel. That pad is filled with a gel, the gel was liquified around the wires. I cranked an ran to the launch, and will crank and run now. What is my problem?

Jeremy 772

Cadet
Re: Please Help

I apologize, it's an Ocean Runner and the model # is M0150CXERS

All of the other info is correct. I was hoping it was not that. It's just weired that most of the smoke was coming from under the fly wheel. Which is where the two yellow wires were going too.

Haffiman

Commander

If the rectifier shorts out, you may even have burned the stator.
Remove the flywheel and check.

Jeremy 772

Cadet

Thanks, but the starter works. I put dog ears on when I got home and ran it in an attempt locate the problem. No smoke and cranked fIne. Im wondering if running it in open water has anything to do with it.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

If the rectifier shorts out, you may even have burned the stator.
Remove the flywheel and check.

the STATOR is what you need to charge the battery, not the STARTER.............. different bird

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Loose or corroeded battery cable connections or manufacturing defect.

Jeremy 772

Cadet

Wow, didn't know that. How do I check to see if either the rectifier or stater are bad?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you have a factory service manual with the specs you can unplug the wires coming from the stator and check them with an ohmmeter without removing the flywheel.