77 140hp wont start

jlb7244

Cadet
Thank you for the help on my 40hp, I found a bad gas line and now runs good. And now my other motor the 77 140 wont start. Last summer I rebuilt the carbs, and replace the plastic ring under the fly wheel and has run like new since. Yesterday after I got the small motor running I started the 140 and was letting it warm up when it died and would not start again. Took out the plugs and they were wet so I put in brand new ones again and still would not start. I pulled a plug and grounded it and cranked the motor and saw spark but looked weak. I cked wires and connections and all look good. I have replaced the power pack 2 times in the past. Can I test the power pack? I have looked at past threads and found nothing about the power pack. Am I looking in the right direction?

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 77 140hp wont start

Find the year of your engine in the CDI troubleshooting guide. You will find the guide in my sig. Follow the steps as they are laid out. Use a spark tester to see if it will jump a 7/16' gap. You can't tell how good or bad the spark is by looking at the plugs.

jlb7244

Cadet

Thanks Lieutenant for your help I started doing the electrical checks and things were looking good. I then thought I would check the wires to the stator and any other wires under the fly wheel. Pulled the wheel and found my problem. the key sheared off. Put in a new one and she runs great again.

hidef

Lieutenant

Glad you found your problem without throwing a pile of money on new parts you didn't need.