87 skeeter body work help

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 skeeter body work help

Uhhhmmm, Yeah!!!! Short How-To!!!! I don't think that's going to be possible. What caused the damage? What kind of boat? What Year? What MFG! How much do you wanna spend? How familiar are you with fiberglass repair? This is not a Quick Fix repair. This is some Major structural damage thats gunna take some time and effort. Trying to match the Big Metal Flake Gelcoat is for sure gunna be a problem

teaff1979

Cadet

It is a 1987 skeeter starfire tournement edition 175, double hull. the gash on the back is the main concern now. The picture looks worse than it is the gash does not go all the way through. The top is not a big issue for now but will be. It also looks worse than it is. I have worked woth fiberglass before but im no pro, i will be doing it myself.

teaff1979

Cadet

sory it was backed into something it is not weak and has no flex

teaff1979

Cadet

Also i had it in the water for a few hours and it had no leak.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

It is a 1987 skeeter starfire tournement edition 175, double hull. the gash on the back is the main concern now. The picture looks worse than it is the gash does not go all the way through. .

hi .......welcome to iboats....

woodie is correct....

this is not a little crack....

what has more than likely happened in side the hull, is that the transom has been pushed away from the hull......de laminates as it were.

if you have a three piece transom.....and this in not affecting th real transom......great.....fill with thickened resin and repair the glass.

if its part of the main transom.....start reading !

oops!

Supreme Mariner

by the way...... from the title of this post......you are thinking of doing some body work....

well........simply put.... a "body job" on a boat......risks lives.

boats arent like cars..... this is not a dented quarter panel or chipped door.
you really have to change your thinking here.

fix it as per the uscg rules......or scrap it....

sorry to be blunt bud.....but this is not a "put bondo in it and make it look good" repair.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Sure looks like it 'oil canned' ..

What you need to do is get a 4.5" grinder and remove all of the gelcoat where those cracks are.

So before you grind take a magic marker and make a circle around all of those cracks..then start grinding. I will almost bet you have at least a few layers of bad glass. You might get lucky though.

Show us what you have after the grinding to better help us help you :) .

YD.