Opinions on the Carolina Skiff DLX series? (19ft)

NEStriper

Seaman
I'm looking for a bare CC hull for a 70hp or 115hp outboard, both of which I own. I saw a new, 2011 1980DLX Carolina Skiff hull for $6000 at a dealership about 200 miles from me. This boat will be used for bay and ocean fishing and diving. I just need a good, reliable, no frills hull. What are your opinions on this boat?

Thanks.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Opinions on the Carolina Skiff DLX series? (19ft)

Took a vacation one year to fish the Louisiana brackish water out of Lafitte, LA. First year rented a skiff with a 60 hp Merc. No specs, but skiff was about 16', probably 5' beam, pretty much flat bottom. Really made for marshes where you wanted to plane out fast and not have a lot of boat down in the water.

My only annoyance with it was whomever set it up, set the prop pitch 2 to 4" too low. Hole shots were hot, but going from the bayou's back to the fuel dock at Lafitte, the engine just screamed and forward motion was somewhat slow as a result.

For brackish fishing, boat was superb. Get it out in rough water, forget it, but again, I don't remember what the hull style name was. Obviously they make boats for rougher water.

Mark