Hiring someone to do a deck repair

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone ever hired out the task of replacing rotted flooring? Due to back injuries I don't see myself tackling this particular repair job. For a 19' bowrider design, what would you think it would cost to rip out the floor and do the whole thing? And how do I go about finding someone reputable to do it?

I thought I would start at my marina and ask the owners, plus a buddy docks at another nearby lake and I will have him ask around there.

Thanks.

Joe

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Hiring someone to do a deck repair

Has anyone ever hired out the task of replacing rotted flooring? Due to back injuries I don't see myself tackling this particular repair job. For a 19' bowrider design, what would you think it would cost to rip out the floor and do the whole thing? And how do I go about finding someone reputable to do it?

I thought I would start at my marina and ask the owners, plus a buddy docks at another nearby lake and I will have him ask around there.

Thanks.

Joe

Ayuh,.... My guess is,... 'bout Twice what the boat is worth....

Labor ain't cheap, 'n that's a labor intensive job...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The other thing you need to be aware of is...If the deck s this bad, there's a very good chance that when they remove it they will find that the stringers are wet and need to be replaced and the Transom could be compromised as well. It could become a total restoration and that can be very pricey if you Pay someone to have it done. Doing it yourself can run $3-4K for a total restoration and Paying for it could be as much as 10K. And even then, as you say, finding a reputable person to do is can be a daunting task.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

The other thing you need to be aware of is...If the deck s this bad, there's a very good chance that when they remove it they will find that the stringers are wet and need to be replaced and the Transom could be compromised as well. It could become a total restoration and that can be very pricey if you Pay someone to have it done. Doing it yourself can run $3-4K for a total restoration and Paying for it could be as much as 10K. And even then, as you say, finding a reputable person to do is can be a daunting task.

Slow it down :) ..

Basically we need some info. We know its a 19 foot BR .. but what make and year is it ?

Sure if its a Bliner or a homebrew then its more then likely your in for some other work in the long run. You might be able to patch some things up to get you through a few seasons.. but Who knows until we look at it :) .

Need more info on the boat..and some pics..

Are you even sure you need a full blown deck job.. can you do a secure patching on it ?

Think of wood rot like cancer .. can you cut it out and fix it before it gets to vital areas where you then need to start going into a different stage in the fix. ( where did the rot come from basically ).

YD.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I completely agree.

It's very rare that you see a rotten deck and the foam, stringers, and transom are still sound.

I would suggest the OP sell his current boat as a project boat and buy something in better condition.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Couple of pieces of information. Boat is a 1985 Bayliner Capri BR with the AQ125a motor and 275 drive unit. Mechanically it is very sound and I have already replaced a number of parts on the motor and drive. The transom seems ok and I will be doing an addition of a full swim platform and will have to drill through it soon so I can tell more about the condition of the transom after that project. There have been no problems with the transom up till now in any case. The rot is principally around the ski locker opening and extends to the driver side of the cockpit, by the platform the seats are attached to. There also feels like there is a soft spot aft in the center floor, again near the rear platform the passenger seats are attached to. I have not pulled the whole carpet up to inspect everything. Judging though from two of the stringers at the top and bottom of that ski locker, I think there is damage to some of the stringers as well.

I do have a friend who had done some repair of a boat deck and plan to ask him to take a look with me. But the principle factor will be my back injury, and the health of my back is more important than this boat. I can always sell this and buy something else.

Joe

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi buddy.......sorry bout your back jal

look......the price is 1500-2k for the deck.

but i can allready tell you there is more......the soft spot center in front of the motor.....is the gas tank.....there is two sheets of ply there....if its soft......you have issues.

may i suggest......the only thing that is hard on a deck replacement.....i ripping the old one.....and placing the new one.....the rest is light work.

if you hire a kid to do the grunt work.....while their under your supervision.....and help.....you can have the boat demo-ed in 2 days.

the rest will depend on the condition of the strings .....ect.....the whole thing might cost you 600 bux including the kid !

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

the glss man around here charges 7 grand...
its a sure bet your bayliner is toast.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Slow it down :) ..

Sure if its a Bliner or a homebrew then its more then likely your in for some other work in the long run.

Ok..speed it up again ;) ..

85 Bliner is not worth the $ IMO.

YD.

Ps. I always wondered what would happen if you replaced the B with a G ;) .

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the input. I will have my friend help me inspect it and evaluate the job.
I like the idea from Oops the best and since I work at a college I am pretty sure I can find a helper to do the grunt work.
But it will depend upon that inspection and evaluation first.

Joe