Ranger Sweet 16

Well this is the boat we found and bought, on the title it says its a tracker bass tracker sweet 16, I have googled every which way trying to find info on this boat, like weight, how big a motor it can handle, right now it has a old mercury 70 hp on it with a spark issue we are dealing with think we know whats wrong. Has anybody heard of this boats, its in good shape and pretty nice. Just want to find some info in it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Ranger Sweet 16

That is an older Tracker Marine boat and yes 70 was the max HP. Pay attention to the decking and look for soft spots (they used cheaper wood and construction methods) also, pay attention to the flotation since it is well known for absorbing water which adds significant weight.

There should be a max HP/Loading label affixed to the boat.

Ok thanks, so far when walking around on the inside there are no signs of soft wood, one thing me and my dad noticed is the drain hole in the center on the floor, you can see what looks like water but does not drain out anywhere, I have noticed this in a few bass boats having drain hole holes in the floor, are these tied to the plug at the back? Or does this mean it needs a bilge pump put in.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If (bif IF) the drainage routes are not clogged with debris then all the water can get to the stern of the boat to drain.

I suggest that you tip the motor up and lock it, remove the drain plug and get the front of the trailer up as high as possible. I am talking getting the trailer tongue supported up about 4 feet in the air so if there is ang water it will drain out.

The older the water......the nastier it will look wen it drains.

Ok will give that a go I thought about taking out one of the covers and taking a look in there or even feeling around to see if something is in there. Even driving it home it didn't drain out so more than likely something could be blocking it. Its pretty exciting that we have found a good boat, we can't wait to get it out and do some fishing, and get it set up like we want.