First post first time out on new boat steering broke

PhotoBiker

Recruit
Hi all.

First post and it's a noob one ;-)

Brand new boat:
2012 18' Avalon Catalina Pontoon
2012 Merc 40 HP Bigfoot

First time out we putted around the lake keeping RPMs under 3700.

Just after first hour of running, I pushed it to full throttle and heard and felt a snap. Realized there was no steering shortly after.

Actually, I believe I had some steering to the left for a very short period of time.

I know zip about the linkage, but it looks like the cable popped out of the wheel.

We got back to the dock by having me move the motor left and right and small movement on the throttle.

I will be screaming at the dealer in the AM, but in case they can't get out here soon, anyone have some pointers?

All my tools are at home (of course).

Thanks.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: First post first time out on new boat steering broke

Best bet is to have the dealer dig into it.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

agreed. first thing you will do by attempting to fix it or rig it they will say "you voided warrenty"

5150abf

Vice Admiral

^^^^^^ Don't touch it,as stated you give them an automatic out to not fix it, get it ot he dealer and have it looked at, if you can't get to the dealer TALK to him in the morning and see if someone can tell you how to fix it.

If you start the conversation by screaming he isn't going to want to help, he just sells the boats, he didn't build and things do happen even on new boats.

I think I know what it is and it is a really easy fix but have your dealer do it or tell you to do it

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

I think you'll find that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar. It's a fluke, this isn't normal. I'm sure they will want to help you -- it's unfortunate that it occured on a holiday weekend, but it will get fixed. In the overall grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal.

PhotoBiker

Recruit

All Set.

Last night I went back to the boat to take a photo of the cable under the helm. While taking said photo, I noticed a tag that explained how to insert and remove the cable end. It was pretty easy. I talked to the dealer today and they told me that the wheel might not be aligned. They can come out and tweak it later. He showed me what to do so I might either try it on my own again or just ignore it.

Bottom line I am back on the water on the most gorgeous day.

mrbusdriver

Seaman

Glad you got to go back out, have a safe and fun weekend.

The Rooster

Ensign

Welcome to the forum "Photobiker". Those damn Mercs are powerful. Be careful the next time you floor it. :D Good luck !!!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That is what I though it was, someone at the factory didn't push the cable in quite hard enough, no harm no foul and you are back on the water.

That was an easy one but as a general rule you don't work on anything under warranty.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

All Set.

Last night I went back to the boat to take a photo of the cable under the helm. While taking said photo, I noticed a tag that explained how to insert and remove the cable end. It was pretty easy. I talked to the dealer today and they told me that the wheel might not be aligned. They can come out and tweak it later. He showed me what to do so I might either try it on my own again or just ignore it.

Bottom line I am back on the water on the most gorgeous day.
Could you please elaborate on the alignment process? It may or may not apply to me, but I would like to straighten out my steering wheel.

Thank you.

PS. Congrats on the boat. Sounds like beauty.