Smart Tab Install 2008 Tahoe Q7

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok here it is after all my research I took the plunge. The whole process only took about an hour and there were no real issues along the way. Anyone can do it. Here goes .......
photo 1 (2).jpg
Not a lot of parts but a few to keep up with.
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
I am using the non-binding fittings Nauticus sent me. 1st pic is original parts 2nd is new part.
photo 2 (2).jpgphoto 3 (2).jpg
5 inches from outside edge use the plate as a template and mark with pencil
On to the scary part ........

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Smart Tab Install 2008 Tahoe Q7

photo 1 (1).jpg
This is the worst part. Not the actual drilling just the thought of putting new holes in the boat.
photo 2 (1).jpg
Seal it up real good with 5200 quick dry or equivalent NOT silicone !!!!
photo 3 (1).jpg
photo 4 (1).jpg
Be sure to put your bolts in this way the nuts will not go on the other way. The bolts are hard to take out if you forget.
photo 1.jpg
Bolt on the bottom of the shock to the middle hole and let the tab hang all the way down the use the upper bracket and mark for you mounting holes.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

photo 2.jpg
Still Scary !!! Seal all you holes and mount the upper bracket. Use the clip pin to attach the shock at the top to the bracket and ....
photo 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg
And All Done !!!!!

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will post some performance improvements tonight !!!

Q7idrvr

Seaman

Nice!!! Look forward to hearing how it goes...

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well I had kids in the boat and with the traffic and rough water no WOT runs but the ride is much smoother and it planes out now before the speedometer even begins to register ( 18mph). It makes pulling a tube much easier. The side to side motion when crossing wakes is much better also. I loved these on my other boat and will love them on this one too !!

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We went out again today still too rough for WOT runs but I moved the tabs to the highest setting and they worked so much better !!! I'm wondering now if the 80lb at the lowest setting might be even better. I'll have to wait till I can run it out and check my top speed.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

That is great to hear!! I thought I was going to have to be the first person to post a Smart Tab install on a Q7...lol I will be mountain mine in the same area as you did. Nauticus recommended the 80 lb. ones for the Q7 so I will be getting those. Does the swim ladder have any issues? I am also going to buy the PR500 trim plate retractor kit. I want to be able to lift them out of the way when wake boarding. Great job on the write up and pics!! I can't wait to get mine and also to get rid of the V-hull wander at no wake speeds!!!!

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The swim ladder is not an issue it clears it easily. I am beginning to think the 80's are the way to go however if you get the 60's and mount them in the highest hole you can use the standard fittings. With the 80's I would ask them to send the non binding fittings so you will have adjustment choices. Also through my research I think the 2011 is a little different design back there Here is a pic of an alternate 2011 mounting.
2011 Tahoe Q7 210.jpg

Q7idrvr

Seaman

Great info! Ordered mine yesterday with the 60's. Thinking about ordering 80's to experiment between the two. My Q7i came with a new engine, so I am in the break in process now.

whitey224

Seaman

Is that the only place to mount them on a 2011 Q7 or can they be mounted out farther? I am going to put them on but can't decide where to mount them. I think they would work better it they are as wide as possible but maybe not.

danray35e

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's nice to see someone else posting about smart tabs. I ordered some yesterday. I should receive them by Friday. My problem is figuring out where to mount them on my hull. It is a tri hull, and there are two choices in my mind but im not sure.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Is that the only place to mount them on a 2011 Q7 or can they be mounted out farther? I am going to put them on but can't decide where to mount them. I think they would work better it they are as wide as possible but maybe not.

I would NOT mount them like the one in the picture. You can install them as far out as possible to where the top shock lays flat for installation. By installing them in the fashion from the picture you are losing some stability. After talking to the Nauticus guy they basically picked a spot for them so people did not try to mount them under their boat! In any case...I will be mounting mine as far out as I can and still maintain a flat area for installing the top portion of the shock.

When I finally get around to installing them I will post some pictures of where I mount them. I hope to get them very soon!

whitey224

Seaman

I finally ordered some tabs. I think I will put them out wide. I guess I will have to see what it looks like when I get them. The pics of the Q5 look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.