Boat decision Bayliner 185 or Cimarron 171 SI

rockfishguy

Cadet
I am fairly new to boating and looking for a basic runabout

I can get a deal from Cabellas on a 2011 Cimarron 171 SI by Larson for 17K or I'm also looking at a Bayliner 185 for around 21K. Both are IO Merc 3 and include trailers

Which is the better boat/deal? I'll be using the boat in MN on medium size lakes

Thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Boat decision Bayliner 185 or Cimarron 171 SI

Welcome aboard.

Any new boat is a nice boat.

There are many boats in that price region and I would water test them before I spent the money. I suspect the B-liner is bigger which is a huge plus because a huge 17' boat becomes small very fast and people are always looking for 2' more ;)

The 3 liter is a great motor and you should see right around 40+ mph and be able to tow a skier/tube with either one.

I guess if you are that close to buying...... Warranty on motors and hull are key, dealer support and a water test.

I have been boating a long time and a bit bigger on space is always nicer. If I was going to return to a new fiberglass boat I would be looking for 19-21' and a V-6 but theose are my personal preferences.

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat decision Bayliner 185 or Cimarron 171 SI

That type of boat by most any manufacture are small, or will get small real quick with added passengers and or some wave action.
If it were me I would look at a 19 to 21' with at least a V-6 that is several years old that may be in the same price range.