Question about LU break in procedur

MercBlackMax1

Seaman Apprentice
hey everyone! I just installed my new lower unit on my merc black max 200hp and i had a question on the breakin tag they say to start at low rpms and slowly increase untill you hit 3500 rpms at the 5 hour mark. Does this mean thats i have to idle around for about two three hours, Also wondering if the boat can even get on plane at 3500 rpms.

On another note i followed the installation guidlines to a T and it seems to be a harder shift into forward then reverse and when i come back into neutral from fwd the prop seems to still be locked i have to go passed neutral and come back for it to unlock.

also when the prop is in forward it wont turn cw or ccw. cw i im fighting the compression but on the last LU it would do that ratchiting sound when i would turn it ccw that i read was normal but now it locks up in bothe ways.

When the motor is running it shifts and spins the prop and everything seems normal i just want to make sure everything is ok before i put it back in the water! thanks again Maybe im a bit paranoid

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question about LU break in procedur

hey everyone! I just installed my new lower unit on my merc black max 200hp and i had a question on the breakin tag they say to start at low rpms and slowly increase untill you hit 3500 rpms at the 5 hour mark. Does this mean thats i have to idle around for about two three hours, Also wondering if the boat can even get on plane at 3500 rpms.

On another note i followed the installation guidlines to a T and it seems to be a harder shift into forward then reverse and when i come back into neutral from fwd the prop seems to still be locked i have to go passed neutral and come back for it to unlock.

also when the prop is in forward it wont turn cw or ccw. cw i im fighting the compression but on the last LU it would do that ratchiting sound when i would turn it ccw that i read was normal but now it locks up in bothe ways.

When the motor is running it shifts and spins the prop and everything seems normal i just want to make sure everything is ok before i put it back in the water! thanks again Maybe im a bit paranoid

Geez, lot of questions and it is the end of a long day and I am tired. Will do my best:

In F gear the lower unit has a slip clutch on the clutch shifting dog that allows you to shut your engine down while the prop is running much faster. This happens when you come off plane, like you are coming in to the dock. So, in one direction the prop has to ratchet. In the opposite direction is where you develop engine thrust on the prop so it has to lock up. So in F, one direction is a hard lock to the engine and the other it just ratchets. N is N. R is different. R has no overrun feature and it locks into a square pin socket arrangement to the point that if you shift to R without the engine running you need to slowly rotate the prop while doing so so that the mating surfaces can engage. Once engaged, the shift lever will move to the full R position and the prop is locked to the powerhead in both directions.....................

So, looking back over what you said, you have a problem and I would suspect with your new LU. Hope it is guaranteed. The mechanisms I described are all in there. The rest of the linkage just selects the mode and that doesn't sound like a problem.

Sorry sir,
Mark

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Does this mean thats i have to idle around for about two three hours, Also wondering if the boat can even get on plane at 3500 rpms.
Yes and yes ..if you dont break it in as told it can fail and SEI can tell if it was broke in correctly by wear pattern.
it seems to be a harder shift into forward then reverse and when i come back into neutral from fwd the prop seems to still be locked i have to go passed neutral and come back for it to unlock.
Only shift it when its running or someone is turning prop..the coming to reverse and back to neutral is a cable adjustment.
also when the prop is in forward it wont turn cw or ccw. cw i im fighting the compression but on the last LU it would do that ratchiting sound when i would turn it ccw that i read was normal but now it locks up in both ways.
That because SEI use a non ratcheting dog and gear set like the newer Merc engines(1998 up) and the actions you describe is perfectly normal...

MercBlackMax1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys i went out and tried the boat today and everything seemed great i ran it between 1000 and 2000 rpm and i didnt get it on to plane i have to go over 3500 to get on plane. I guess i have another 3-3.5 hours of boring ahead of me.
For my previouse post about over heating everything is great stayed between 150 and 180!

Cant wait to see when i have it at full throttle if my motor stood up to the beating it took.

again thanks alot have good one!!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You can plane the boat off but back it down to 3500 rpm just do it slow, not put it in gear and throw it to it..

MercBlackMax1

Seaman Apprentice

You can plane the boat off but back it down to 3500 rpm just do it slow, not put it in gear and throw it to it..

Thanks for the help mr.bullet! i got it on plane today for a bit seems to be working good i didnt go long because im still testing everything out. This motor seems to run way better at faster speeds than just idling around. Thanks again for all the time and detail you put in to the replys i think the boat would still be in the driveway if it wasnt for everyones help Great forum.