Starcraft Holiday 21

greg crosby

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Starcraft boat people! This is my first post so I hope I'm OK here? I just picked up a holiday 21 and would like to restore it as my father had one when I was a kid and I loved it. It has a 140hp 4 cyl. I don't know much about it except it ran good when I bought it. Would some steer me in the right direction as for parts, manuals etc. Can't see a hull number on right rear outside transom by has several coats of paint on it. Is there another place to look? Also is the 140hp as good as are old 120hp. Basically what to look for. Will send picture. Thanks

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Starcraft Holiday 21

Welcome aboard!
Love them big Holidays
What year is she, let me know and I will post a ink for a manual.
And you are soooooo in the right place..lol

barato2

Commander

hey Greg--

welcome aboard! OK here? you have found the legendary Old Tinheads Graveyard. or maybe a better analogy would be Dr Frankenstein's Metal Shop (dead tinnies reanimated nightly)

the 140 is the exact same motor as the 120 but with stroke increase to take it from 2.5 to 3 liters. both are marine-ized version of the old Chevy II motor, which is in turn 2/3 of the old Chevy "stovebolt" six. excellent motor, likely the most common I/O dirvetrain in the US, and cheap to feed. gas, that is. EZ will tell you about the cost of refurbing an I/O......esp if prev owner hasn't attended to winterizing each year. the other bit of good news is that even if it's toast, same drivetrain is in a jillion rotting glasser ski boats that can be had for a pittance.

on hull #s, Starcraft uses a sort of metal foil with the info stamped in. i bet you could take some lacquer thinner etc on paper towel and clean some of the old paint off just by rubbing, without damaging the foil.

where are you located? what does your title paperwork say on boat year?

get some pix up fast...there's this guy named Jas......:eek:

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

You're not trying to get the mob going again are you? 21 holiday is a good hull, mine is 21 1/2, I think a lot of them are. Welcome aboard, and don't let them bluff you too much on pics, until at least your third thread. A lot of the parts can come from automotive. Electrical and fuel are the only parts I can think of off the top of my head that need to be marine. I have a tag on the transom, but it doesn't say much, fount another one, 2 actually, up front on the right gunnel just back from the steering wheel that had a lot more info on. Right next to the tag for weight, max passenger, etc.. Good luck

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Howdy and welcome to iboats!:)

Right place? Youbettcha!:D

Click the "Starcraft Rebuilds" in my signature and you will be reading for months about all the cool stuff you can do with an old alum boat;)

greg crosby

Seaman Apprentice

THANK YOU ALL!!!
I live in Maine, am 63, probably should know better but bought an old Holiday 21/140 I/O. I heard it run, saw a good galvanized dual axle trailer, boat a little rough, offered $800, he surprised me and said yes!!!!! I may be the culprit here as in maybe not winterizing it correctly. I did drain manifold, block,lower unit, took off thermo. cap, turned eng. over a few times, poured anti-freeze in the thermo. opening until it started coming out of block and I believe manifold. Put her under shed and covered. Oh I left her at a slight tilt toward back. Didn't drain crankcase.Did put out board mix(with oil) in cylinders before turning. Boat is at a friends we're considering a paint job. Haven't tried to start since I bought it. Can't find old registration but working on it.

Will post pictures soon(little slow in the Digital world). So far all I've found is the tag near the shift. It says 21HLDY 4 I/O, has load info and a space long, shinny, and blank. Haven't gone through layers of paint(transom upper right?) Tag rivets?

Check out engine, little dash repair, maybe paint, top and bows, some trim pieces, hoses & belts? Here I go again. Thanks everyone!!!

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

You have a 21 foot 21ft 8 or 9 inch actually, holliday mach IV. Just like I have. The mach IV basically means inboard, nothing special. Not sure if all the 21 fters are over. I found some brochures here someplace that explained everything on mine. It's a 1974. Actually I don't think it's the brochures before the threads, but I'm not sure. I know they came from this site. max passenger wt is 1500 lbs, and total load weight is 2000 lbs. Coast guard figures 10 people at 150 lbs each. I'd be hard pressed to find an adult under 150, but also to fit 10 into the boat. I think max hp is 160, I know my boat is way over with a 350 sbc in it. About 250. It has a jet tho so doesn't get the prop torque. If someone else remembers the other set of brochures, please come back and mention them. Even if you're as forgetful as me and can't remember where they are. Thanks. Oh Greg, I find it easier to pull the plugs out and hoses off of the engine and let it drain. You gotta get the bottom plugs tho. 63 is a good age, I'm right there too, soon to be 61. I'm old enough to know better too, but I've had fun fixin mine up.
I just checked, most of that info is in the brochures at the top of this page.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Hey ypou check your PM Ed
You have a 21 foot 21ft 8 or 9 inch actually, holliday mach IV. Just like I have. The mach IV basically means inboard, nothing special. Not sure if all the 21 fters are over. I found some brochures here someplace that explained everything on mine. It's a 1974. Actually I don't think it's the brochures before the threads, but I'm not sure. I know they came from this site. max passenger wt is 1500 lbs, and total load weight is 2000 lbs. Coast guard figures 10 people at 150 lbs each. I'd be hard pressed to find an adult under 150, but also to fit 10 into the boat. I think max hp is 160, I know my boat is way over with a 350 sbc in it. About 250. It has a jet tho so doesn't get the prop torque. If someone else remembers the other set of brochures, please come back and mention them. Even if you're as forgetful as me and can't remember where they are. Thanks. Oh Greg, I find it easier to pull the plugs out and hoses off of the engine and let it drain. You gotta get the bottom plugs tho. 63 is a good age, I'm right there too, soon to be 61. I'm old enough to know better too, but I've had fun fixin mine up.