Penta 250 prop cone

deville

Seaman Apprentice
Well, yesterday was a great day on the lake. My '70 Glastron Bayflite 164 w/ a volvo penta AQ130 / 250 ran great. Small idle problem, but once you get past the 'blurbel', the RPM kicks in and away you go. When the day was done, we loaded her up on the trailer, and when i went to strap down the stern, I looked down at the prop and skeg only to find that i list the prop cone and locking star washer . I'm glad I didnt loose the prop, otherwise it would have been a loooong swim. This prop cone is of the older midels that do not have the thru- cone lock screw. I can see now why they changed the design.
I found one from Volvo, but I really dont have the $128.00 to order one (My wife would string me up....). PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

deville

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Penta 250 prop cone

I was on fleabay all night but the only ones I found were the newer style with the hole in the end for the lock bolt. I wasnt sure if the threads were the same for both styles or if the newer one was different. I check the prop periodically and the tabs were bent up into the cone. I wonder if they just sheared off? Would it be a good idea to use a heavy thread locker like loctite on the threads? I really dont want to go through this again. Do you think I can run a large lock nut with a spacer between the prop flange and the nut? Temporary of course...... We've got a boat gathering at the local lake this weekend and if I dont splash with the rest of my pals, I may start to cry and drown my sorrows with many cold cans of anti-depresant juice....On the bank of course.LOL

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Penta 250 prop cone

Bolt hole in the end doesn't matter. If you want to use a nut and lockwasher, don't see why it wouldn't work.