my new to me evinrude

plyxrs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
alright gave the guy $40 for this today, he had on his pontoon and its been in the barn going on 6 years, well anyways he had this and a johnson and well i chose this one, its electric start and pull start, came with the throttle and gear changer lever lol sorry im new to this whole boating seen, anyways the motor pulls perfect no problem, has great compression, cleaned it up and everything, now i figured out how to hook the cable to the transmisson to change from reverse to forward and neutral, now can anyone tell me how to hook the steering and throttle up? and also i need a new throttle cable where would i get one? i dont know the year of this, all i know is its 18hp, evinrude, and says fastwinn? on it. well heres pics, please give me as much info as possible, also i have the serial number if that would help? idk if its smart to post that or not. well thankyou all in advance!

IMG_20120524_174805.jpg

IMG_20120524_180052.jpg

IMG_20120524_174320.jpg

IMG_20120524_174348.jpg

IMG_20120524_174355.jpg

IMG_20120524_174821.jpg

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: my new to me evinrude

The cowling and fuel pump look 1960 something... 1962 maybe?

I'm sure someone can tell you exactly... post the model number and we can tell you for sure. The little quarter sized plug (silver colored) by the fuel pump will tell you what you need to know.

plyxrs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm sure someone can tell you exactly... post the model number and we can tell you for sure. The little quarter sized plug (silver colored) by the fuel pump will tell you what you need to know.

my guess is its a 63 because the last 4 of serial are, 6212, and this thing?
IMG_20120524_174440.jpg

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

18502 is a 1965 18HP

18202 is a 1972 18HP (what I have)

Great motors.

If you need help getting it going just ask. Plenty of folks here can help you get her going.

plyxrs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

18502 is a 1965 18HP

18202 is a 1972 18HP (what I have)

Great motors.

If you need help getting it going just ask. Plenty of folks here can help you get her going.

Will take any help or advice. I'm new to the boating seen just been using a trolling motor on my boat lol... well this is my first gas motor and it pulls good perfect compression. Inside looks real good once I cleaned the crap out of it where somthing lived in it but no wires were chewed.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Start with an actual compression reading. You will need a gauge for this. You will be in the 100-145 psi range. Both cylinders should be within 10 percent of one another.

If it has been sitting, there is a thread in the FAQs that helps with this, have a read there.

plyxrs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so what should i do to try to get her running? i want to try tomorrow, so yes gas and oil mixed, what fuel ratio? and does these motors take oil itself? i know it has to be in a trash can or somthing of water, how full? since this motor has pull start and electric start do i need the wiring harness and a battery hooked up for the pull start?

brmax

Recruit

Nice find, 50 to 1 on fuel mix and your gonna need a regular fuel tank from one of your freinds and a hose with a squeeze pump on it. id pull the plugs and shoot some oil in there before pulling to much, set up a can under it. might give the saw horse a bit more support. I have one just like it, and this site with the information you can find on here is amazing. got some more questions theres a bunch of people here to give ya some answers.

plyxrs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice find, 50 to 1 on fuel mix and your gonna need a regular fuel tank from one of your freinds and a hose with a squeeze pump on it. id pull the plugs and shoot some oil in there before pulling to much, set up a can under it. might give the saw horse a bit more support. I have one just like it, and this site with the information you can find on here is amazing. got some more questions theres a bunch of people here to give ya some answers.
Awesome. Thanks!. Now does these motors take oil like mower engiines and car engines do? Or just the 2cycle and gas and she's good to go?

scipper77

Commander

Just the 2 cycle "marine" oil. And I'm not sure that 50:1 is correct for that year. I think it's more like 24:1 or 32:1 for that vintage.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

From the Evinrude website

"A - The following is generally true:
1958 and prior used 20:1
1959 thru 1963 used 24:1
1964 and newer use 50:1.
High performance usage (racing) requires a ratio of 25:1.
New engine break-in (not DI) requires 25:1."

And use ONLY TC-W3? rated oil in the fuel mix - available in most all brands. It looks like 1964 is the closest year to that cowl style. If I didn't do anything else, I'd replace the water pump impeller.

hidef

Lieutenant

The correct mix for that engine is 50:1.
Things to do before running it on the water if she starts.
Fuel pump rebuild
New water pump impeller
Carb rebuild with a new float
New fuel lines.
New spark plugs
That engine use points and condensers. They may or may not be okay depending on there condition same thing with the coils. Use a spark tester and see if you can jump 3/8" gap.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/278647/27864700001.htm

plyxrs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the info guys, so i can't use all purpose 2 cycle oil?

hidef

Lieutenant

No only use TC-W3 it is formulated for water cooled engines.

lindy46

Captain

Walmart has their store brand for about $11 a gallon. Name brands are more expensive, and I've always had good luck with the Walmart brand.

plyxrs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Walmart has their store brand for about $11 a gallon. Name brands are more expensive, and I've always had good luck with the Walmart brand.
alright how long does a gallon usually go?

bullcity101

Seaman

A gallon of oil for a 50:1 mix should make 25+ gallons of mix maybe a bit more. I think my quart of oil at 100:1 did 24 Gallons. So you might get more like 40 gallons or so.

bullcity101

Seaman

Also, very important that is it being cooled. Replace the water impeller first thing. Also when you fill up the trash can or whatever you are using, make sure it comes 6 inches or so above the water intake. I am sure the jets in the carb need cleaning and while you have the carb apart, replace the float and the gaskets. The float will have to be measured for drop (i am speaking for the engines I work on, 1985 and newer). I would go ahead and buy the service manual for the engine and give it a good read, it will help you really get a good understanding of how the engine opertates.

Follow Hidef's lead and you will be good togo. Just always have proper water flow and oil in the gas or you won't have a engine to tinker with anymore. Also, another mistake people do, don't use starter fluid. It doesnt have oil in it. If you need to, spray some gas/oil premix down the throut of the carb.

Hope that helps and people please chime in if I got anything wrong.
John

scipper77

Commander

I know we have already identified the year based on the serial number but my 1962 Evinrude fisherman (5.5 HP) has a cowl that looks very similar to yours. I wonder if the cowl is from an older motor than 1965??

Also I apologize for creating any confusion as to what the proper mix should be. I honestly thought that 50:1 wasn't recommended until the 70's.