Beating an old question about sealing an aluminum boat to death

wild will

Recruit
Hello,
This is my first post on this site...And I will say I have gained some great info..
However, I have a 1976 Starcraft aluminum jon boat that I'm restoring...
I saw many posts about Gluvit vs. Bedliner..

Question (with statement) I did use the Gluvit after I stripped the old finish on the bottom of the boat..
The stuff seems (so far) to be as advertised...Now I would like to use the brush on bed-liner as a protective
coating on the bottom, overtop the gluvit...Reason: I will be fishing small lakes and ponds, rocky rivers and streams
in West Virginia..I do not plan to trailer this boat..I just wanted something to throw in the back of the truck, and go..
I saw a forum this past week where a guy in Minnesota, or somewhere up north that had great success using gluvit &
bed-liner..And stated: "he will be using nothing else..." (Now I can't find the post).. Now I know that it will add weight, but I want protection from rocky streams, when I have to get out of the channels...What "grit" of sandpaper should I use to "rough-up" the Gluvit befor adding the bed-liner? Should I use the reccomended "grit" advertised on the bed liner, or something lighter ? The bed-liner grit is for removing lots of layers of paint...I don't want to remove lots of layers of
gluvit...

Please give me some imput..Thanks

Doug (wild will ) :confused:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Beating an old question about sealing an aluminum boat to death

A light scuff with 80 grit should be sufficient and then wipe it all down with Acetone and let it dry.

wild will

Recruit

Would something like "prepsol" laquer thinnier, or enamel thinner work?

Thanks for your quick reply -"a bunch"

wild will

Recruit

Thanks for the extra info...

I looked up the "coat-it" from the link you added, and it seemed like great stuff..
Will this coating be able to "stick" or apply to gluvit? I noticed that it's great for
just about all metals, but...(really didn'y read on to see if it would apply to other
coatings)

Thank you very much, for your added support...And if this is what it takes, I'll wait
and grab some...I'm in no hurry..

wild will- doug

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

I would give them a call and verify that it will play nice with others! I assume that a scuff would be enough to get it to stick, the bonus is if you had to sand the gluvit off the exposed areas it still will have penetrated any voids and the coat it acts as a sealer also! I will be using it with gluvit also inside the hull of my boat, and to coat my inside transom skin.

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bedliner does not add that much extra weight. If you use a bedliner make sure you use a two-part system, instead of a standard single part roll-on application. In my tests I found that the two part stuff is much tougher, and actually creates a chemical bond to the surface you apply it to.