Shift cable adj/cut out switch

tootoot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1975 225/888 I notice that when I am shifting into or out of gear, the cut out switch assembly does not move. The pivot bolt on the assembly is free to move by hand and is well lubricated. There is a new shift cable and everything else works fine. Seems like there is a little to much clunk when going into gear. That switch is suppose to cut the engine off momentarily while it is shifting in and out of gear right? Any suggestions on what to look for or how to fix/adjust it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shift cable adj/cut out switch

Not going into gear, only coming out of gear.<br />Make sure your idle is down around 650-700 rpm, NOT over 750.

tootoot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Coming out of gear not bad going in it clunks a little more than it should. Primarilt I notice the stop switch mechanism isnt moving.

Trent

Captain

Turn down your idle speed. They are going to clunk going into gear. Don is right. Shift switch only works when its comming out of gear. You have to un-load the gears.

Laddies

Banned

tootoot, if the prop is not in the water there will be no torque on the cable and the switch will not work, are you running it on muffs?

Don S

Coming out of gear not bad going in it clunks a little more than it should.
Coming out of gear, there is nothing to clunk. When going into gear, you have that big, non moving prop hanging out there that immediatly starts turning when all that steal makes contact at 700 rpm. If you are doing 1000 rpm, it sounds like a big BANG.<br />The reason for the shift interrupt switch, is to take the load off the gears so they will come apart. They are reverse cut in order to hold them in gear while running. If they weren't, they would pop out of gear all the time. While the reverse cut makes it possible to hold them in gear, it makes it impossible to get out of gear when there is a load on the prop. (In the water) If you take the prop off, you won't feel or hear any clank at all, and will have to look to see if the propshaft is even moving when shifting from neutral to forward or reverse.<br />As laddis mentioned, if you aren't in the water there isn't enough pressure on the clutch dogs to engage the shift interrupt system.

tootoot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let me make sure i understand. I want to clearify that the situation does occur in the water and the rpm is 650. Just let me know this. Is it normal that the engine cut out switch that the shift cable barrell is connected to is not suppose to move when the unit goes from neutral then to forward gear? And it is suppose to move only when you are coming out of gear? Cause it looks like the switch mechanism activates the switch for both forwards and reverse, when coming out of gear, Right? Ive got an old outdrive (888) and just making sure I dont tear it up prematurely.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

It will move slightly when shifting into fwd or reverse......It will "clunk" going into gear, that is normal...Your shift interrupt switch is only necessary when coming out of gear, as Don S. explains....If you are grinding while coming out of gear, then I would worry....JK

Don S

Am I missing something here? I stated that the shift interrupt system does not work when going into gear, then in Qystan's article it says it does, BUT, it does when something is wrong in the system. Like a bad cable, or other parts binding ......<br /><br />DUH, doesn't that kind of mean the same thing? If there is a problem, fix it so it works right. Kind of thought that was the object of the repairs and questions about how to repair things.

fendersfender

Petty Officer 1st Class

if the thing comes out of gear when it is in the water, then it works....

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don<br /><br />Yes, it means the same. Its sorta scratching it going the other way :D <br /><br />Something definitely needs fixing when the engine stalls going into gear.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Sounds pretty clear, the switch aids in coming out of gear only due to the torque caused by the prop in the water.activating going into gear means that either the shift cable is/going bad or corrosion causing binding.