Removed the Philip Head

tolbertn

Cadet
Hi,

Being the rookie that I am i removed the philips head in my lower unit of my 1975 40 horse johnson. How bad is my situation because i can't get it back in. :facepalm:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removed the Philip Head

I assume you've tried the various attempts... prying with a pointed scribe etc to no avail.

You have two choices... turn the engine upside down and hopefully the shift lever will drop into the cradle where it belongs, OR.... as long as you have it upside down, remove the skeg and go at it properly.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One more step toward becoming an old salt, tolbertn. Did that myself once but got lucky with a scribe point.

lindy46

Captain

It's easier with the lower unit off so you can jiggle the shift rod around while you peer into the hole with a flashlight to get the hole in the yoke re-aligned.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Or you can jiggle the shift lever up on top.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Not the end of the world...keep at it, you'll get it lined up!

Mas

tolbertn

Cadet

I assume you've tried the various attempts... prying with a pointed scribe etc to no avail.

You have two choices... turn the engine upside down and hopefully the shift lever will drop into the cradle where it belongs, OR.... as long as you have it upside down, remove the skeg and go at it properly.

Well after a half our of using a scribe and jiggling the shifter, I decided to take off the skeg and do it properly. It was easier than I thought and I was able to gain some knowledge along the way. Thanks a lot guys :D