On the water towing question?

The Rooster

Ensign
After boating all day Sunday, we came upon a 22' triple tube barge w/ engine problems. We swung by and offered assistance. They needed a tow back to the launch, and we were in a very busy stretch of the river so didn't really have time to fashion a tow bridle between tubes. So we hooked a tow rope to the port tube eyelit and to their center tube. We've towed smaller rigs before, ie: jon boats, jet fleas, and a bass boat, but just used the rear cleats. I felt we needed something more substantial and the removable post used for towing tubes was not an option in my opinion. It was also suggested by a crewmate and fellow boater that we transfer some of the load from their boat to ours to lessen the strain for towing, so we put 7 of their crew w/ the 7 from our crew aboard while owner and wife stayed on their boat. Everything went without a hitch, and we made some new friends, but it brought to mind some questions. We took it easy, approx. 1600 rpm- approx. 6 mph. back to the launch.
1.) Are the rear tube endcap eyelits the best place to rig a tow rope from or is that too much stress for the endcaps?
2.) Is there any validity to transferring people from their boat to ours to ease the towing burden even though the amount of weight moving is the same?
3.) Considering the construction of Party Barges, how much weight is too much for towing? ie: Would a 30' twin engine boat- 10-12 k lbs not be worth the risk of damage to our barge?

Sorry for the long post. Any opinions would be appreciated?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: On the water towing question?

They can take a pretty good straight line load, it is when you get into side loads that you will have problems, they are 4'' long and spread the load pretty good but only 1/2'' wide so they will bend sideways.

It woudl be best to put stainless U bolt through the back crossmember, after towing 2-3 boats last year I put one inmy boat through the transom, used it once this year already and it worked really well.

I don't think weight has a lot to do with it, the bigger it is the slower you get into the pull, once you get it moving I don't think there is all that much stress, it is the initial pull to speed that really puts the stress on it.

I have pulled a 25' toon with my 16'v without a problem and I don't know that transfering weight would really make a difference but it certainly can't hurt either.

treker

Seaman

When I was in the Coast Guard we towed using the side by side for more control
http://www.flc-acbs.org/bruce-tow.htm
but you can tow from your stern to disabled's bow as long as the cleats are strong enough, have everyone stay away from the line while towing though there is a lot of energy stored in that line. If it snaps and hits anyone it's not going to be pretty

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Very interesting thread. I'm glad it came up. I'm wondering where on the cross-member a u-bolt could be placed? Obviously center is good, but then wouldn't the motor get in the way? I would have thought a bridal attached to the back of the two logs would make sense, but now I see the point about the (somewhat) perpendicular force component.

As an aside I just happened to notice this past weekend that in addition to the u-bolt at the front, there is a metal "strap" also attached, which then goes back several "ribs" and is also attached (bolted) to each of those. Since I don't own a trailer it took me a while to realize that it's beefed up for the purpose of winching... Which makes me wonder if a u-bolt center and aft would need similar reinforcement?

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

IMO, you did the correct thing by moving weight to your boat. With too much weight on the other boat, it will tend to plow a lot and create a lot of drag. Plus, itis less stress on your lines....a lot less stress.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I would put the U bolt right above the brackets on either tube, it is where they are attached to the boat and have the most structure.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

IMO, you did the correct thing by moving weight to your boat. With too much weight on the other boat, it will tend to plow a lot and create a lot of drag. Plus, itis less stress on your lines....a lot less stress.

Agreed. Also safer for the passengers in case something happens to the boat being towed.

The Rooster

Ensign

Thanks again guys. As far as towing the bigger cruisers, I think I'll let somebody else do the towing, but offer up our barge for water taxi services for their crew.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

I would put the U bolt right above the brackets on either tube, it is where they are attached to the boat and have the most structure.

Going to have to take a closer look this weekend. I think there is currently a u-bolt above each tube now (fore and aft) and nothing on the tube itself.