Help with buying new boat

normtp1

Cadet
Ok, so my wife and I have decided to purchase a new boat. We are looking to buy a bowrider, and would like to start with a decent, but cheap used boat. We have two main ones that we are looking at (links below).

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Marada-198-Ske-101740689

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Bryant-182/131047641

I know that Bryants are better known (and probably just flat out better) boats, but the Marada is bigger, with a bigger motor, and is $3200 cheaper.

What types of questions do I need to ask when talking to the dealers? I know to ask about service records, hours, where the boat was stored, and winterized. I know to look for floor rot with the Marada, and look for hull damage, and I will ask about the ability to test drive it, but beyond that what types of questions should I make sure to ask? Is there anything from the pics that jump out to anyone?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Help with buying new boat

I think you are on the right track EXCEPT you need to inspect the stringers and sole of both boats not just the Mirada. if all things are equal I would lean towards the bigger boat bigger motor as well but you have to look at each and make a decision based on which is in the best shape or in the condition your willing to deal with until you upgrade, both boats are decent boats but the single most important thing you need to find out is which was taken care of the best and that should be the number one thing you consider, even the top made boat in the world can be a POS if it hasn't been taken care of.

I think the first thing I would ask the dealer is to leave me alone for twenty minutes with the boat, bring a 12" ratchet extension and start tapping stringers and step on every inch of the deck, check all the fluids, cycle the throttle forward and reverse without the motor running. I should tell you I hate salespeople, Owners I am ok with but someone who doesn't know much about the boat I have little time for, just go away and let me do my thing.

Pics look fine but you need to get into each boat pics rarely tell the whole story unless the boat is a complete POS and the seller doesn't care and in this case you don't care either, your not going to purchase it.