Boat Takes 1 Hour to Start!

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My boat is back to it's old tricks again. Last year I was having a problem starting my 1989 Johnson GT 150. I replaced the primer solenoid and had a few good months. Well this year it's happening again, however it appears the primer solenoid is working BUT it takes about an hour for it to finally START. I know the proper starting procedure. I have gas, everything checks out, it JUST WILL NOT TURN OVER & START.

I just want to know...What is the Significance of it Taking an Hour to Start. All theories aside about gas, spark, leaks, etc... WHY after an Hour does it just start up and go for the rest of the day? It just starts randomly but always right at 58:00 of cranking...

BTW: I cranked it in the driveway no problem, in the lake, under load 1 Hour

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat Takes 1 Hour to Start!

Let me get this straight. You say, " just will not turn over and start " Does this mean the flywheel is not spinning or what ??

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, flywheel is spinning. Sometimes for a second, other times for 10 seconds, it does what it wants to...

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be careful with that starter if your cranking away for any significant portion of an hour.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have your battery load tested and then check all the battery connections on both the battery and the mtr. Also bend your battery cables and see if they "crunch". If they do they're corroeded in side.

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just Curious, why would the battery cables suddenly work after an hour of cranking. Doesn't it sound like a fuel, or spark problem. Since it starts fine in the driveway?

jjrreb23

Seaman

power paks have a mind of there own . mine did only after it sat till next day. check fire when it dont start .spark tester,

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The point I'm trying to get across to you is, will the flywheel spin continuously if you hold the key in the start position ?? Or does it spin a little and quit even tho' the key is in the start position yet ??

jjrreb23

Seaman

ok so it will not turn over all the time in that first hour ? if so might check switch

jjrreb23

Seaman

and yes it will spin as long as you hold hold key in start till something gives up from heat.

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

and yes it will spin as long as you hold hold key in start till something gives up from heat.

with a starter i only give a minute maximum spin time as to not over heat the starter an i apply that theory with car boat or lawn mower no more than a min then let off a min quick way to burn the starter up is holding the key on till something gives from heat

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you keep spining it that long the next thing you'll need is a starter mtr. Troubleshoot the ignition system first. Reread post # 7.

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boobie, sometimes the flywheel will rotate for 10 seconds or more, then sometimes the bendix falls immediately off the flywheel. I checked my cables all are OK. I checked my primer solenoid, and it works when I press the key in as long as the ball is hard. I went out today and bought new gas lines and ball Johnson parts $70 yellow striped ball. Doing that tomorrow. Next up, load test on the batteries...

Did I mention it was a brand new battery 2 weeks old?

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hooked up the New Fuel Lines today with the new Yellow end ball. Replaced the in line fuel filter. Pumped the ball a 1000 times it never got hard. Turned the motor over a couple of times and it final got the siphon going and got the ball hard. Adjusted the the throttle roller a little cause it looked out of whack with the cam follower. With the ball hard, lever up, and key pressed in for 5 seconds, it started on the first try. Now If I get it to the lake and it will NOT start under load, what does that tell me?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If your starter won't turn over constantly it is a wiring issue or a starter issue, once you hit the key the starter should spin untill it melts or the battery goes dead so either the battery cables have a bad connection or internal corrsion, the starter itself is bad or it could be a solenoid going bad or another bad connection, maybe a faulty nuetral safety switch.

If it were mine I would do all the free stuff first, remove and clean each wire connection on the entire engine, remove and inspect the battery cables, they are know to corrode from the inside out so the may look good but aren't.

As a side note be very very carefull adjusting anything on the engine, by moving the throttle roller you altered the timing, all of that is tied in on an outboard so if you adjust the throttle you adjust the timing, if you get it too far off it won't run so now I would say a link and sync would be a good idea too.

With the balls alot of times you have to tip them one way or the other to help the ball valve seat

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

5150, Van Halen Reference? :)
It's not the the starter won't spin, it will spins till the cows come home, but the bendix doesn't always stay in contact with the flywheel. As far as the throttle, I just lined up the throttle roller with the small line in closed position and longer line when the lever is in the up position. I made sure the carbs were fully closed in the down position. Think I'll get me a 55 gallon drum to do some load testing in the driveway. It fires instantly with the muffs on.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

It is actually and I am known to be a bit goofy but well short of criminally insane.

That is a very odd problem you have there, I was just trying to confirm that the starter itself would tunr over as long as the key is on.

Alot of times if the a cylinder fires but doesn't start it will throw the bendix.

I would still go to zero and pretend you never touched the engine and clean all the terminals, one at a time so you don't mix up wires, do a link and Sync and clean your carbs correctly even if you have done it already, maybe do Joe Reeves WOT Timing adjustment, that way you know everything is right and you can start to narrow it down.

Get a timing light on it to see where you are right now, if your timeing is off evena little it will make it hard to start.

Just for our benafit and to eliminate another possability post your exact starting procedure.