Good deal on an OMC 200hp? I think so... do you?

Jkinney18

Cadet
I have a 1989 Evinrude 225 Vro. It has a bent prop shaft, not terrible but its got a little wobble to it. I ran it a few times like that and now i have water in the gear oil and oil leaking around the prop.. which i was expecting to happen.. also the motor mounts on the mid section are all corroded and ate out, big chunks missing. Been in the salt water a few times over the past 20 years.. lol
Anyways i was pricing a prop shaft and bearing kit and seal kit, and found it cheaper to buy a used lower unit. I found some around town and on craigslist for around the $350 to $500 mark. Then i came across a guy who has a complete 1991 Johnson 200 VRO. Aprently this guy used to have a shop and has tons and tons of motors and parts and ect..
A guy had bought a new stator for the motor and the shop doing the work didnt tighten down the flywheel nut. So when the guy ran the motor the flywheel welded itself to the top of the crank. The guy started cutting the flywheel off and ended up trading the motor to this guy for a smaller boat and motor.
But he says the motor was running 2 years ago when it was put up, he can turn the crank with a wrench and it turns over good. The lower unit is in good shape. He said it was pressure tested before it was put up 2 years ago, and if he can find his tester he will check it agian for me. The mid section is in a whole hell of a lot better shape than mine is. The trim unit is there and in good shape And i would be getting a spare power head out of the deal. $550 and i can take it home. Sounds like a bargain to me! Only down side is.. its about 4 hours away from me. But i deffinently think its worth going to look at, right? I mean i was gonnna spend $450 on just a lower unit, why not spend an extra hundred and get a whole motor?

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Good deal on an OMC 200hp? I think so... do you?

As long as the lower unit parts in this one aren't worn out and are in good condition. Otherwise you will be stuck with a parts motor for down the line which you didn't need in the first place (not to mention they aren't the smallest motors ever made).

daselbee

Commander

Please PM me with the guy's name and address...phone number, etc. I am always looking for sources of parts for these loopers, and he might be local to me. Thanks.

And yes, I would get it for 550 if I were you.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a good deal. You'll have plenty of parts to play with.