87 Force 125 Tilt/Trim Help

maxum84

Cadet
I rebuilt the tilt trim valve body, thought I put it back the way I took it apart but maybe not. The trim (lower ram) works great lifts the engine to where the tilt cylinders should take over and stops lifting, the motor continues to runs but sounds like it would if the engine was all the way up. I fixed the leakdown problem but think I caused another one. Thanks in advance for any help.

RRitt

Captain
Re: 87 Force 125 Tilt/Trim Help

I rebuilt the tilt trim valve body, thought I put it back the way I took it apart but maybe not. The trim (lower ram) works great lifts the engine to where the tilt cylinders should take over and stops lifting, the motor continues to runs but sounds like it would if the engine was all the way up. I fixed the leakdown problem but think I caused another one. Thanks in advance for any help.

crossed lines?

maxum84

Cadet

I don't think so they are pre-bent and lined up with the holes pretty exact. I did take the entire thing apart because it was pretty gummed up is there any diagram as to where the ball bearings go? does the inner valve (between the two end caps) go in a certain way. I thought I was being pretty meticulous but maybe I biffed.

RRitt

Captain

motor straining at end of trim but before tilt is usually a crossed line. bottom of tilt goes to port furthest away from transom. If it was something wrong with ball bearings then I don't think motor would strain.

maxum84

Cadet

Lines are on the way they originally were, they were zip tied and painted together. Two lines closes to transom go to top of cylinders lines out of bottom of cylinders go to farthest from transom and bottom port. The motor doesn't necessarily strain, it just sounds like it would if you ran the cylinder all the way out and continued to push the button.

d absher

Cadet

you have tilt but no trim sounds to me like trim cylinder needs o ring i had the same problem check with RRitt on here he knows about t/t and he has oring kit for t/t cylinders

maxum84

Cadet

The cylinder worked before I took the valve body off, I don't think it could totally fail in the three days I had it off and put it back on.

RRitt

Captain

if it does not drift down from trim and motor does not strain then it is probably the pressure setting is too low. 1800-2300 is typical factory. on short leg and/or smaller engines 1000-1200 is more than enough. on 1987 125HP I'd set it to 2000psi.

maxum84

Cadet

Thanks RRitt, I will take it apart and give it a few turns, unfortunately there's no hydraulic shops around to bench test. And while I have it apart I'll check the BB and springs, I found this image in another post is it correct? Thanks again for your help.

hays

Cadet

where do i add the fluid to my tilt/trim.

hays

Cadet

i just bought a 1987 force125 the trim/tilt motor works, but no pump lift. where is the location of the fluid cap to add some fluid.

maxum84

Cadet

i just bought a 1987 force125 the trim/tilt motor works, but no pump lift. where is the location of the fluid cap to add some fluid.

There's a fill screw on the side of the cylinder about 2" from the bottom, looking at the back of the boat it's on the right side.