How does an Acura MDX tow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Chaparrel 204ssi that weighs 3400lbs with a 1000lb trailer. Do you think that an Acura MDX will do ok towing the boat/trailer for longer distances? The tow rating is 5000lbs, but I'm concerned with the short wheel base. Does anyone have experience towing with an MDX?

Thanks

Jeff

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How does an Acura MDX tow?

With fuel and gear you will be right at the 5000lb limit. As you add passengers subtract that from the weight of what you are towing.
And yes, the wheelbase is a liabilty. Kind of like the tail wagging the dog.

MCNPathfinder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I drive an 01 Pathfinder, my boat is probably a little heavier than yours. However, the wheelbase on our "trucks" is probably about the same. The problem is the springs in the back, they amplify the "wagging". I'm putting trailer brakes on mine so I can whip it back into shape, but once I get above 45 things start getting scary. Also maybe adding more weight to my tongue. What I'm trying to say is don't be surprised by the wagging. If you don't have trailer brakes on your trailer, you'll probably want them. If the trailer gets swinging and you impulsively lock up the brakes the trailer may swing around and perhaps flip the car.

I should add that my trailer has surge brakes, that helps with braking, are there other trailer brakes I could add?

Chip Chester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not trying to upset anyone, but I gotta say it: Man, don't do it. 14' jon boat -- perfectly fine. But your boat is van/Tahoe or pickup territory. You need longer wheelbase, a bigger weight advantage of tow vehicle over load, and more overall capacity for safe carriage of actual cargo and people. Extra brakes are not a magic fix.

For a brake system to have positive effect against fishtailing, is has to be independently controlled by the driver... which means an electric over hydraulic system for a boat, with a brake controller in the tow vehicle. But the Pathfinder driver has shared his experience with a heavy boat and a small, short wheelbase tow vehicle: fishtailing over 45 that is, in his words, scary. And he has some experience using that rig. If you're somewhat new to towing (based on your original question) then that's not a situation you want yourself or your family in. Or the drivers and passengers around you. Oh, yeah, and your boat and car.

The good news is that Suburbans are a dime a dozen now.

Chip

chris.j.marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd say its too much boat to tow with that car. Hard to compare it to to the Pathfinder which has a truck frame and more likely stiffer springs.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am going to be the advocate that the MDX is a rather substantial vehicle now and a 20ft boat on a tandom modern trailer with brakes will be cake.

It has a fully independent suspension and is a totally different animal then a 91 pathfinder (aside from rough wheel base measurements).

MCNPathfinder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the fully indpendent suspension is part of the problem though. My Pathfinder has fully independent suspension. Coil springs on all 4. I think what you really need in a good tow vehicle is the leaf spring suspension on the back. The coil springs seem to just enable the swaying. I installed an electric brake controller in my vehicle, although I have not yet tried it since I haven't installed the electric brakes on the trailer. I wanted a little more control than the surge brakes, wanting to lock them up for emergency purposes. Quite honestly I'm surprised the MDX can pull that much. My mother has a Honda Pilot that can only tow like 3,000 pounds. I would assume the MDX uses the same engine?

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With fuel and gear you will be right at the 5000lb limit. As you add passengers subtract that from the weight of what you are towing.
And yes, the wheelbase is a liabilty. Kind of like the tail wagging the dog.

The fact is you do NOT subtract you and your passengers from your max trailer weight. Gross combined weight rating is different....it is vehicle, contents, and total trailer weight. Just make sure u are under that for a total weight as well good properly working trailer brakes and you will be fine. Just take it easy and drive with100% attention. You've got the power now just check the #s. The GCWRshould be on the drivers side pillar in the door jamb or search online.

I mean this in a nice way and don't mean to upset anyone but will people stop thinking that everyone needs a freightliner to pull a canoe. IMHO :)

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know a person towing a 17 foot bayliner with a 2009 MDX. It tows that pretty decent but that is half the weight being discussed here. If 4K pounds gets a little loose the accura wont fare well. It wont have the suspension or horse power to control it.

MCNPathfinder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've heard it said before that once it starts wagging it's best to give it some gas so that you get some pull on the trailer and it'll straighten out. So far everytime I've tried that my car doesn't have the power/torque at the higher speeds/RPMs to get it to straighten out. This year I haven't pulled above 40MPH until I get the weight distributed properly and brakes installed.

cptnmcluvin

Seaman

Howdy

Firefighter6pack, the answer is it depends. If you are towing on level terrain or at low speeds, that makes things easier.

The new MDXs have 300 hp and 270 ft/lbs of torque. MDXs also have 108 inch wheel bases and weigh 4500 lbs.

That should be enough.

However, I recommend you take the rig to a weighing station and verify how much you're dealing with.

Also, if your trailer is wagging or otherwise unstable, you'll need to increase the tonque weight.

The tonque weight should not be so great that the tow vehicle squats or feels out of balance.

8 to 10% tongue weight might be a good place to start.

In comparison a 1991 Pathfinder has a 104 inch wheel base, 3600 lbs curb weight, and 153 horse power.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

The fact is you do NOT subtract you and your passengers from your max trailer weight. Gross combined weight rating is different....it is vehicle, contents, and total trailer weight. Just make sure u are under that for a total weight as well good properly working trailer brakes and you will be fine. Just take it easy and drive with100% attention. You've got the power now just check the #s. The GCWRshould be on the drivers side pillar in the door jamb or search online.

I mean this in a nice way and don't mean to upset anyone but will people stop thinking that everyone needs a freightliner to pull a canoe. IMHO :)

Max towing weight and max allowable trailer weight are two very different things. And to tow safely you need to know both.
Read this. Its simple to understand.http://bamarv.blogspot.ca/2011/04/how-to-calculate-your-real-towing.html
I wouldnt trade my current tow rig (2010 F350 4x4 crew) for anything less. When you go big you have no worries.

jkust

Rear Admiral

It'll do it. Before owning three truck based suv's, I towed my 4000 Chaparral/trailer with a 180 hp minivan with a 3500 tow capacity. Ignoring the vehicle mismatch, the length and air leveling suspension masked the inherent danger. The shorter distance trips with more stops were much harder on the drive train than the long, highway trips. What happens when you tow over the limit of your vehicle is that eventually you will have a near catastrophic situation or maybe you will see somebody elses that forces your paradigm to shift. Your MDX is lightyears ahead of my 12 year old van however, so you may never reach that point. My very first tow when I upgraded to an suv with a large v8, 4wd (a true tow worthy truck based suv) we did have what would have likely been a catastrophic situation had we been in our van. Instead the 1000 times more capable truck saved the day for us. My old minivan would tow your heavier boat probably relatively easily and pull it out of a 45 degree ramp with almost no pedal but I'd never actually do it since the safety margins are eaten up. It take almost nothing to tow heavy loads and pull them out of the water I discovered. Your much more capable MDX is not a good comparison to an old minivan but some of the principles still hold.

Philster

Captain

Since 2007 or so, all MDX's are setup to tow 5000 lbs. If your MDX doesn't have a hitch, it's still setup to tow 5000 lbs; just add the hitch. The rest of the drivetrain, along with trans cooler, is ready for action.

My rig comes in the 4-5k LB range depending on what's in it, and our 2005 MDX (Ram is primary tow vehicle) pulls it fine, and that's 30' of boat/trailer. I have great ramps, but a pretty steep bridge to cross.

Yeah... you have to limit how much weight you lug around in the MDX.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

The wife has a '08 MDX, my tow rig is an '11 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.7 V8 plus HD brakes, tranny cooler, and tow switch. I would not recommend towing anything other than short distances and flat terrain with the MDX due to short wheelbase, V6, and lack of beefier brakes and trans cooler. Knife in a gunfight for 5K lb load and long haul.

Philster

Captain

All MDX's have trans coolers and brakes designed to deal with 5k lb loads. A tow package on an MDX = hitch.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

^Philster, I cede the MdX cooler and brake capacity is rated to 5k lbs, but in addition to my own experience, there are others who have pushed the limits of the MDX to this threshold capacity and felt strongly they were breaching adequate safety conditions towing larger loads with this or any crossover. OP's boat looks to be at or perhaps beyond this rating when wet and loaded. IME, it is always best to be conservative with tow vehicles and pull at circa 80% of vehicle tow rating, if for no other reason than to be prepared for extreme driving conditions (hills, wind, heat, traction, braking, trans usage, etc). Certainly others push the limits and do fine. YMMV.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007-newer-mdx/29157-mdx-towing-3.html

Philster

Captain

I have not recommended anything other than towing within limits, which includes accounting for weight in the tow vehicle.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Agree with Philster...having gone through the learning curve, I wouldn't do it again. At a certain point you need to make the decision to be a trailer boater and with that robust of a boat, that means body on frame suv to cover the contingencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.