OMC Cobra w/5.0 4V (In a Galaxie) Shift Issues

dakotajeep

Cadet
The boat runs perfect. The only issue that I have is that when the engine is warm and running it will not shift into neutral from forward or reverse. I have to shut the engine off and shift into neutral when I need to disengage the engine or put it in reverse.

Any thoughts? Is this a common issue?

Thanks
Thad

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra w/5.0 4V (In a Galaxie) Shift Issues

The boat runs perfect. The only issue that I have is that when the engine is warm and running it will not shift into neutral from forward or reverse. I have to shut the engine off and shift into neutral when I need to disengage the engine or put it in reverse.

Any thoughts? Is this a common issue?

Thanks
Thad

Howdy,

Yes it's very common.

More info might help though. What year is it and more specifically what model (since boat year model is frequently not the same as engine and drive year)

I am going to go out on a limb and assume that you have a dog-clutch model.

If it is, you probably have an ESA issue (it's not activating)

The Electronic Shift Assist system is connected to your shift system so that when you attempt to move the shifter from FWD/REV to Neutral, it briefly activates the system to "stumble" the engine, causing torque pulses so that you can separate the shift "dogs". (not the same as separating real dogs ;))

If you'd like to do a little reading, you can go to http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/ and read all about how it works.

To fix, it could be the lower shift cable, the micro-switches, the drive, or the actual ESA module.

If you want to fix it yourself, you'll need an OEM OMC service manual for your year and model engine and drive and for the most part normal hand tools.

If you're not up to the task, you'll need to take it to someone that knows something about the dog-clutch Cobras. (they're getting few & far between)

Good luck,

Rick