10 hp mercury not running

sandan5

Cadet
have early 80's mercury 110 outboard......will run briefly only after spraying starter fluid into cylinders......has been stored since last october and was running at that time.....have mixed new fuel and it is getting to the carb....it does spark, but it may be weak.....over the last 20 yrs, only maintenance is replacing plugs.....

any suggestions in getting 'er humming again?............thanks

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: 10 hp mercury not running

first off. don't use starting fluid in the cylinders or into carb. no lubrication. You can use 50:1 premixed fuel in a sqeeze bottle thru the carb. How do you know that you are getting fuel to the carb?
Since the only thing you have done to this motor in 30 years is change plugs, I would.
Rebuild carb and enricher/choke.(new gaskets)
change lowerend fluid.
And new water impellar. then you should be good to go. .02

sandan5

Cadet

first off. don't use starting fluid in the cylinders or into carb. no lubrication. You can use 50:1 premixed fuel in a sqeeze bottle thru the carb. How do you know that you are getting fuel to the carb?
Since the only thing you have done to this motor in 30 years is change plugs, I would.
change lowerend fluid.

thought these fluids were more explosive and didn't realize no lube would be harmful for 1-2 seconds......I only know that I am getting fuel to the carb inlet.....don't know if it's getting inside.....assume you would squirt fuel into the carb via the choke opening if you were attempting to start it..............thanks

sutor623

Rear Admiral

thought these fluids were more explosive and didn't realize no lube would be harmful for 1-2 seconds......I only know that I am getting fuel to the carb inlet.....don't know if it's getting inside.....assume you would squirt fuel into the carb via the choke opening if you were attempting to start it..............thanks

It sounds like you have a dirty carb, as MI has said. If you want a reliable setup it will more than likely require a de-carb. Water pump is good idea for 10 year old motor. What do you do when waterpump fails and you are 4miles from the dock? About the starting fluid. The big problem is that it is a solvent that will break down any left over oil on the crankshaft and piston rings. The fluid is more explosive, but it is not good practice to use it on a 2 stroke. And yes sir squirt the premix directly into the carb, if it starts and then dies then you are not getting fuel.

sandan5

Cadet

change lowerend fluid.

It sounds like you have a dirty carb, as MI has said. If you want a reliable setup it will more than likely require a de-carb. Water pump is good idea for 10 year old motor. What do you do when waterpump fails and you are 4miles from the dock? About the starting fluid. The big problem is that it is a solvent that will break down any left over oil on the crankshaft and piston rings. The fluid is more explosive, but it is not good practice to use it on a 2 stroke. And yes sir squirt the premix directly into the carb, if it starts and then dies then you are not getting fuel.

thanks for the advice sutor and mi.......will get it done right......

sutor623

Rear Admiral

No prob. There are two place to perform your repairs. In the garage or on the water. :)