Suggestions on how to reduce my boat from "sharking" at slow speeds

rob5

Recruit
Good morning, iBoats forum. I'm a new new member and I'm very glad I've found this resource. This is my first time posting so please don't beat me up too bad if I say something ignorant...:D

Here's my issue - I have a small 18' sterndriven bowrider and at slow speeds it "sharks" back and forth considerably (I'm not sure if that's a real term, but that's about the best name I've heard which describes this effect). I can compensate with a fun little rhythmic steering maneuver, but this gets old very quickly (and thank heaven for power steering)... I've also tried different approaching speeds from plane to idle with no noticeable improvement.

Am I doing something grossly wrong or does this have to do with the hull design? Any suggestions on how I can prevent or reduce this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and have a great day,
Rob

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Suggestions on how to reduce my boat from "sharking" at slow speeds

Most deep v hulls "wonder" at low ( under 10mph ) speeds, but shouldnt at mid to planing speeds.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine also does that - (new to sterndrive) and noticed if i trim up high it helps a bit.

Also if you just "let go....use the force"....don't steer - let it 'wander' you'll find it usually is a cycle and you end up pretty much going straight!

rob5

Recruit

Mine also does that - (new to sterndrive) and noticed if i trim up high it helps a bit.

Also if you just "let go....use the force"....don't steer - let it 'wander' you'll find it usually is a cycle and you end up pretty much going straight!

Excellent... Thanks BoatdrinksQ5, I'll try that.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nauticus Smart Tabs help this (and other things).

Kinda like the fletching on arrows keeps them going straight.

nlain

Commander

I is the nature of the beast, deep V single prop, they all wander at low speed. We the operators usually make it worse by trying to correct it. Smart Tabs will just about stop that from happening and they will do a lot of other good things for your boat.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I second the Smart Tabs on this issue. It will also help your on plane porpoising as well. They are an inexpensive alternative to real trim tabs for smaller boats and really do a lot to help many minor issues.

QC

Supreme Mariner

For clarity, any trim tab setup, full down will help with displacement speed wander.

Because you mention wander at planing speeds, I think you should search for info regarding your gimbal ring in the appropriate engine and drive section (Mercruiser? Vovlo? OMC?).

Oh, and welcome aboard!! :)

rob5

Recruit

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I really appreciate your time and will look into the smart tabs.

thanks again,
Rob

Philster

Captain

rob5, what make of boat is that in your avatar?

I keep mental notes of brands/hulls that have issues on plane.

rscot138

Recruit

I've heard this called "Bow Steer" and "Wander" before also. It always seems like the more you try to correct it, the worse it gets.

rob5

Recruit

My boat is a 1996 Starcraft 1810 with a 4.3L Mercruiser V6. I'm purchasing the Nauticus Smart tabs and can't wait to try them out.

rob5

Recruit

I've heard this called "Bow Steer" and "Wander" before also. It always seems like the more you try to correct it, the worse it gets.

That's true and it's definitely not a skill I want to develop any further. :)

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

My boat is a 1996 Starcraft 1810 with a 4.3L Mercruiser V6. I'm purchasing the Nauticus Smart tabs and can't wait to try them out.

I think you're going to like them... a lot. :)