Mercruser 5.7 engine block replacement?

Viet-Vet

Recruit
:facepalm: Hello, I?m new to this forum business and not so computer literate so forgive me if I bugger anything up. Anyway the wife and I have had a 1999 250 Sea Ray Sundancer , here in Pennsylvania, new from factory. We really took good care of it and only put 186 hours on her. We are getting older and just can?t launch anymore so we decided to sell. We have kept the boat every winter in a mine that stays 52 degrees year round. I pulled the boat out this year in mid March. There was a cold snap but I didn?t think it got cold enough to harm the boat? Anyway we sold the boat and now the buyer is saying the block is cracked and his Marina wants $5,500.00 to repair it? Is there an automotive engine block that would match the 5.7 Mercruser Bravo Three? {My friend owns a truck repair shop and installed a pooped up engine in a Wellcraft we had 15 years ago.} If he knows what block to get I'm sure he can repair it for the guy. I could just tell him it is a used boat and it is his problem but we are not those kind of people. Thank you for any advice you might give us.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruser 5.7 engine block replacement?

A 5.7 block from a truck of the same year will work fine. Install brass core plugs and all the Mercruser accessories, and you should be good to go.

DO NOT be tempted to use the automotive fuel or ignitions systems. Stick with Merc parts from the old engine.

Jason 641

Seaman

If it is only the block that is cracked pretty much any 350 (5.7L) chevy block will work, just install brass freeze plugs and the marine cam. you can bolt your heads and all the accessories from the old motor onto the new block. If you need to replace the heads too make sure they are the right style for the intake manifold that is in the boat. Chevy changes the intake bolt pattern every few years so all 350 heads and intakes are not interchangeable with each other. If you can do some of the work yourself or have a friend do it you should be out less than $2000.

Viet-Vet

Recruit

:) Thanks Guys!!!!! I'll get to work finding the right stuff! I just needed to go to the "Right place" for this information!!!! And thanks for providing the forum; It has probably saved many folks many hours and many dollars!!!!! Viet-Vet out!

Thalasso

Commander

:) Thanks Guys!!!!! I'll get to work finding the right stuff! I just needed to go to the "Right place" for this information!!!! And thanks for providing the forum; It has probably saved many folks many hours and many dollars!!!!! Viet-Vet out!

You stored the boat in the mines? I'll bet you are around Pgh or Butler.I store mine in the mines and no way it got cracked in storage. Climate controled at Wampum

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

One more thing........
Thank you for your service!

Viet-Vet

Recruit

Thanks Rick! But the guys who we really need to thank the most are the guys who came back but left some body parts; and especially the ones that didn't come back at all! Please put them in your hearts and prayers this Monday?!? Pray for those who go in harms way today and thank them when you can. And you are correct; I'm a Norside boy!! Let the non-Burgh folks ponder on that one! :) I have wintered in both! But this year we had a cold snap after the beginning of March and that's what must have done it?!?! I know now it does NOT TAKE MUCH of a cold spell to crack a boat block!!!! Warning to all you boating friends out there; "If it is going to go below freezing for ONE NIGHT ya better be witerized or be inside!!!!!" Viet-Vet Out.

Thalasso

Commander

Thanks Rick! But the guys who we really need to thank the most are the guys who came back but left some body parts; and especially the ones that didn't come back at all! Please put them in your hearts and prayers this Monday?!? Pray for those who go in harms way today and thank them when you can. And you are correct; I'm a Norside boy!! Let the non-Burgh folks ponder on that one! :) I have wintered in both! But this year we had a cold snap after the beginning of March and that's what must have done it?!?! I know now it does NOT TAKE MUCH of a cold spell to crack a boat block!!!! Warning to all you boating friends out there; "If it is going to go below freezing for ONE NIGHT ya better be witerized or be inside!!!!!" Viet-Vet Out.

:D:D Ambridge here. I'm buku dinky dau

Viet-Vet

Recruit

Hey Dinky Dau, where were ya, & when? My A/O was mobil Tiger Corps; August 1965 through July 1967. If you are in Ambrige you may know a buddy of mine he coaches football for Ambridge HS; ----- Coach Taddeo?? I gotta Dee Dee Mau chat later Viet-Vet out!