Fish OR Cruise Model??

clayshooter555

Recruit
A Newbie here trying to narrow things down....so many types of pontoons! We will be cruising 60% of the time in a 10hkp restricted lake. Can you comfortably fish in a 16 or 18 foot cruising model that has the curved seats up front?

Or is it just so much more comfortable to have the individual fishing seats? And how isolated are these fishing seats from everyone else when you are just cruising? Too hard to carry on a conversation with the folks in the back bench seats?

Are fishing models just for the hard core anglers?

Would love some input from those who have each model as to the pros and cons. At these prices don't want to make a mistake :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Fish OR Cruise Model??

I had an eighteen foot fish and cruise setup several years ago. It was a great little boat and very comfortable provided there weren't more than five people on it. It wasn't a safety issue, just a matter of bumping into each other while we were moving around. I sold it and bought a bigger barge because the admiral insisted it was too small for our needs. The fishing seats were really neat, but they didn't mitigate the space issue because they were outside the play pen, which meant they were off limits any time we were underway, and fishing from the couches is doable depending on the kind of fishing you envision, but it's less than ideal. If you really do plan on fishing from it forty percent of the time I'd suggest looking for a layout that has fishing seats up front but extends the play pen all the way to the front of the deck; that way passengers can occupy the fishing seats while you're underway. And to the isolation question; that won't be an issue on a sixteen to eighteen foot barge regardless of the floor plan. Welcome aboard.:cool:

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Here's my two cents. I don't fish, but my boat has 2 fishing seats up front in the "play pen" (love that term). One day I may replace furniture and those seats will go and lounges will go in. If I did fish, I suspect the seats outside the play pen would be the way to go. Lots of comfy seating is nice to have... The fishing seats are worthless to our style... But if I fished at all, I'd definitely consider the outside the play pen setup, as I do think that would be the best of both worlds - Fish and Cruise!

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have owned fishing pontoons and non-fishing pontoons. Toons are GREAT platforms to fish from and having appropriate fishing seats helps a lot. I prefer models with standard lounges up front and fishing seats in the back.....sort of a hybrid approach and better for trolling.

mrbusdriver

Seaman

I have a 18 ft. with the fishing seats inside the playpen, and for me I think it's ideal. You can fish in comfort and because the boat is short you can turn around and talk with those in back.

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We fish. My wife would fish morning and night if I'd take her. We go out at least once a day. So we have a fishing pontoon. Fishing seats on all four corners. Trying to fish over a bench seat is a waste of time as far as I'm concerned. If 80% of the time you cruise and you fish once in a while get a party barge. you probably won't have a live well but it will still make a good fishing platform. But,...we fish. Took my wife a long time to find just what she wanted. When we have the Kids (and Grandkids) up and we just cruise around the lake and talk I can turn my front seats around and I have a couple camp chairs in bags in the back of the boat. We put a large colman cooler in the center of the pontoon for a table and to hold the beverages. 6 adults 4 grand kids no problem on my 20 footer. It all depends on what YOU want and that something you have to deceide.
402711384.jpg

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

You're never "too far away" on an 18. When I found out the difference in cost on my boat between an 18 and a 24 was $1,000, it was a no-brainer. So I have as much "couch space" as an 18 foot cruiser, on a 24 foot fisher - with four fishing chairs (one at each corner).

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

That's a good point about the live well. Not sure if cruisers have it (or as an option), but I could see how that would be a factor. My boat has a live well and I use it for storage. So did the previous owners, but they forgot to turn off the valve and someone accidentally turned it on. When I went to clean it out it was a rotten moldy mess.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Shoot, my boat has TWO livewells. I'm going to remove one, to get back the storage space.
I mean, I like to fish, but how many fish do I need? Each of my livewells could hold at least 20 fish.

Jeep Man

Commander

Mine is a cruiser and I have to say, it's a pain in the caboose to fish from. Layout is everything. Look at all the options and pick the one that works best for both. BTW, I have not seen a cruiser with a livewell from the factory.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

This setup has worked well for my customers. Chairs are more comfortable than standard fish seat and can be used by anyone.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

This setup has worked well for my customers. Chairs are more comfortable than standard fish seat and can be used by anyone.

It doesn't look too bad, if you have one fisher, or if the fisherfolk want to stand outside the playpen.