1971 Deck Boat Restoration deck repair

dennywynn

Cadet
Hello Im new to iboats .i just bought a 71 deckboat it needs a lot of restoration .deck is wrotten canopy is destroyed. just started the teardown . im not shure if i should cut the seating off or not any input would be helpful . and it has a merc 500 on it it isnt getting any fire to plugs . it has lightning energiser breakerless ignition on it . any info on how to test these components would be helpful .it has a salmon colored wire from the switch box going to the ignition switch is this a hot wire or a ground kill wire? thank you for your time . this boat is 19' 6" long and 102" wide
DSCF6560.jpgDSCF6561.jpgDSCF6563.jpgDSCF6566.jpgDSCF6570.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1971 Deck Boat Restoration deck repair

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Yer in the Right place for yer restoration,....

For yer Motor questions,... Post in the Mercury Outboard forum....

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Certainly got some work ahead of you....but like Bond-o says, we'll help you with anything that comes up...

dennywynn

Cadet

Thanks Bond-o i will start a thread on the motor

Decker83

Commander

That boat looks a little fimiliar..
I would not cut the seats out just yet. I would take off the railings first. When you remove the top rail you will need a long extension to reach the 9/16" lagg bolts that hold the upright rails to the deck.
I would then take off the rub rail and try to remove the cap. My cap was in 3 peices and I was able to take it off by myself.
After you remove the cap you may be able to remove the seats without cutting.
Your deck is different from mine.