Few questions about 1988 206 captiva

I just bought a 206 captiva from a co-worker. It has fairly low hours and the interior is in good shape. I can't seem to find any information anywhere online about this boat. I's got the 4.3 l in it and it's an open bow. I am currently replaced the bellows and u-joints for the drive since they were ripped. I have quite a few questions and hope someone knows.
1. Whats the weight of the boat?
2 What are some common problems associated with this boat
3 It needs a prop, whats a good prop for skiing, tubing and planing not very concerned with top speed
4 The exhaust bellow is ripped. I have heard i can leave this disconnected? Is this true?
5 I waxed the whole thing but what are some things to check for? I am new to boats been a car/motorcycle guy only all my life.

Much thanks!!

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Few questions about 1988 206 captiva

1. take the boat to a truck stop and weigh it. Then you will know that actual weight, Not some forums users guess.
2. All boat have some problems, Remember this thing is 24 years old so by now it just depends on how it was maintained?
3. What is wrong with the current prop? Did the PO hit something? was it stolen? If the prop hit rocks hard enough there good be internal drive damage.
4. You want all bellows to be rip free, unless you want water entering the boat.

Did you test drive the boat yet? why did the co-worker sell.?

Bondo

Staff member

I just bought a 206 captiva from a co-worker. It has fairly low hours and the interior is in good shape. I can't seem to find any information anywhere online about this boat. I's got the 4.3 l in it and it's an open bow. I am currently replaced the bellows and u-joints for the drive since they were ripped. I have quite a few questions and hope someone knows.
1. Whats the weight of the boat?
2 What are some common problems associated with this boat
3 It needs a prop, whats a good prop for skiing, tubing and planing not very concerned with top speed
4 The exhaust bellow is ripped. I have heard i can leave this disconnected? Is this true?
5 I waxed the whole thing but what are some things to check for? I am new to boats been a car/motorcycle guy only all my life.

Much thanks!!

Ayuh,.... What drive,..?? built by Whom,..??

I didn't test drive it this year but I've been out in it with him. He's selling it because he prefers a pontoon. He's 30 single and way more into partying with a group than skiing or using this what it was for. The props not toast it's bent up and has a decent gouge missing. It's aluminum and has been repaired before and I'd prefer to use it as a spare and buy a nice prop since I mainly plan to tube, fish and ski with the boat. I looked at the underwood and stringers of the boat it all appears to be solid and glassed still. The floor has no soft spots or rot I could find. Truthfully I paid 2800 for the boat Bimini cover full boat cover and trailer. I helped him put plugs, water pump, throttle linkage and change the oil on it last year. I know he kept up on the maintenance decently but he truthfully used it to Go to boat launch to beach, party and go back to launch. I'm just wondering what else I should be looking for and what a good prop would be. I waxed it changed to oil and filter and currently have the out drive off doing the bellows and u joints. What am I missing?? Thanks for the help as well!!!!

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just bought an '88 4.3 bowrider myself. I changed all fluids: outdrive gear oil (Mercury Quicksilver), motor oil (Rotella T 15W-40), etc. Topped up the low power steering fluid and trim fluid. I gave it a basic tune up. The plug wires and dist cap looked fairly new so I left them alone. My boat came with Champion plugs so those got replaced with AC MR43T. People also reccomend NGK BR6FS. I cleaned the flame arrestor. I greased the prop shaft and steering "rod". I also greased every moving part that I could get to with Triple Guard or Moly grease.

My boat's prop is 14 3/4 w/21 pitch, 3 blade alum. It does 43-45 mph @4300 RPM. It planes pretty quick and holds plane at 18-20 no problem. I pull my kids on tubes mostly and we wakeboard so I'll be getting a 4 blade 19-20 pitch in the near future.

I hope this helps. Welcome and congrats on the new boat!